Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm at the end of my rope- please help!  (Read 2900 times)

sarc1066

I'm at the end of my rope- please help!
« on: September 09, 2007, 11:15:26 PM »
Okay, here's the short of it...

I have an E-machines Desktop (not sure what model, I bought it in the fall of '05) with a Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS (which was NOT included in the original box). Plus, I've got a 23 inch Viewsonic monitor. This thing, while not completely state of the art, is pretty sweet when it works.

My problems with the machine have been varied, few and far between. I've had some Virus/spyware issues in the past, nothing special, but I was forced to wipe the slate clean with the restore disk as that particular virus had corrupted more files and processes than I could count.

My most recent issue with the machine is certainly the most troubling. On the 31st of this last July, I began to install Battlefield 2: Special forces. The installation completed, but after I restarted and clicked the icon to begin, a single pop-up window appeared over a blank screen. My memory is fuzzy, but I recall it said something to the extent that something had been corrupted and the loading could not proceed. This wasn't a huge blow to me, as the game never struck me as particularly interesting. I figured I could simply uninstall it and then toss the dvd-rom into my bucket of defunct cd's, right?

I went to restart the computer, and at first, everything seems hunky dory. The BIOS screen loads completely without issue. Then, all of the sudden, Windows fails to load. All there is, is a black screen that will occassionally flicker between varying shades of blackness.

This is irritating, so I push the main power button to manually restart the computer. The BIOS loads again, and the same thing happens. Windows fails to load, the Amber light on the desktop itself flickers, and nothing happens >:(. I attempt to restart it, again and again and again, and NOTHING. I'll admit it, I got pretty pissed quick.

Once I regained my composure, I retried the process. Nothing. I tried looking online over a period of days for something, anything that could help. I got a mixed bag of advice, ranging from Power supplies to Video card troubles to Hard drives. Really the only thing any of these suggestions had in common was to indicate that it was a HARDWARE issue, although I still have my doubts about that.

A couple weeks passed, well, more like a month, til the end of August. At this point I still hadn't made any headway and had pretty much given up. I tried re-sitting the hard drive, the video card, the memory; nothing. I cleaned out the inside of the desktop tower; nothing. I checked all of the cables and connections, along with all of the previous steps I tried; again, nothing.

At this point, I was absolutely desperate. A few months previously I had nuked the contents of my hard-drive after a particularly nasty virus, and I considered using that solution again. Only problem was, I couldn't find the effing disk. I tried using system restore off safe mode, but that didn't work either.
HEAVENS TO MERGATROID.  :'( :P >:( :( :o

And now, I'm here. I'm at the end of my rope people, I just want my bloody computer back! I've thought about new hardware, even a new computer! If any of you can recommend ANYTHING, please god, ANYTHING, I would be very appreciative.

-Cordially yours, Jackson Sheedy

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I'm at the end of my rope- please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:25:10 PM »
1st of all,windows system restore wasn't the best idea to choose as a back up.try Norton ghost.
My last idea for you depending on what you told us,formatting the HDD would be the best to get normal life back ;)
Oh,have you start the PC without your graphic card?

sarc1066

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:36:55 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I took out the graphics card, tried to boot and got this real odd beep from the machine.

What the devil does that mean?

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:39:08 PM »
what kind of beep?

No Beeps        Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep        Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps       POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep,  One Short Beep    Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep,  Two Short Beeps    Video Problem
One Long Beep,  Three Short Beeps    Video Problem
Three Long Beeps Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps    CPU Overheating

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »
eMachines have notoriously poor supplies that frequently take out other components when they fail. This can be quite expensive. With all of the power problems you mention I would FIRST change the power supply to a quality one of sufficient wattage for your needs. (400 w. ought to be fine) If you don't spend at least $40-50 for a quality PSU, you are just asking for more problems down the road. I prefer Antec or Thermaltake from newegg.com, but that's just me.

After you swap in a good PSU if everything doesn't work fine, then a format and reinstall is in order. If you are the original purchaser eMachines will send you a new disk for a nominal charge.

I suspect with these two changes your system will be fine IF the previous power supply did not permanently damage anything. Keep us posted.