Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is CP/M legal to download?  (Read 9258 times)

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Is CP/M legal to download?
    « on: September 10, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
    Hi,

Is it called CP/M or CM/P? It suppose to be DOS but not Fat16 it is suppose to be FAT8. Is it legal to download as an .img file and where can i download it from?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    Re: Is CP/M legal to download?
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:41:47 PM »
    You might like to browse here..

Google has 1,130k hits so lots more info on WWW.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
      You might like to browse here..

Google has 1,130k hits so lots more info on WWW.

Good luck

But i still don't know what files to download for the CP/M OS? Will you tell me?

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
      There is some confusion as to the ownership of the CP/M copyright.   The original Caldera EULA is here while a second EULA is on this site. Both appear to grant usage rights for non-profit and personal use.

Much of the outdated original CP/M documentation and software has been 'lost' but some can still be downloaded from this site and from here.

CP/M is officially totally unsupported by anyone although there is some assistance available via an online user group (Google for details).   Gaby Chaudry also offers assistance by e-mail.   User/Other manuals are available here.

I regret I can be of no assistance with System Generation, installation, coding or execution - someone else might take on that task.

As with all applications which are new to users I strongly recommend that you first Read The Manual especially the section(s) dealing with System Generation (Sysgen) which, as you will know, generates the Operating System and operating environment.

Good luck
      « Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:09:32 PM by Dusty »

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:54:15 AM »
        There is some confusion as to the ownership of the CP/M copyright.   The original Caldera EULA is here while a second EULA is on this site. Both appear to grant usage rights for non-profit and personal use.

Much of the outdated original CP/M documentation and software has been 'lost' but some can still be downloaded from this site and from here.

CP/M is officially totally unsupported by anyone although there is some assistance available via an online user group (Google for details).   Gaby Chaudry also offers assistance by e-mail.   User/Other manuals are available here.

I regret I can be of no assistance with System Generation, installation, coding or execution - someone else might take on that task.

As with all applications which are new to users I strongly recommend that you first Read The Manual especially the section(s) dealing with System Generation (Sysgen) which, as you will know, generates the Operating System and operating environment.

Good luck

I have NO clue what files to download for the install OS. all you doing is pointing out sites. How am i suppose to find it? Is it legal or not?

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:35:06 AM »

The above seems to indicate that it is not illegal to download CP/M or any other software (utilities etc.) from the relevant sites.   If YOU are in any doubt after reading the EULAs to which I have linked YOU should consult a person qualified to advise you on the legality.

Unlike Dos and Windows CP/M is not downloaded and simply installed.   The CP/M bios is hardware dependent and the system must be Generated from the software supplied.   How can I tell you what to download without knowing the hardware on which the system is to be run?    Here are the descriptions of the first and second entries on the Operating Systems section:

CP/M v1.4 Binary : 68K Here is the binary for CP/M v1.4. The BIOS should be for a Tarbell disk controller controller.

EARLY-CP/M : 91K "IMDOS CP/M Compatible: 91K This is an interesting CP/M-like OS for an IMSAI computer. Examining the binaries reveals Digital Research modifications copyright 1976 and IMSAI copyrights dated 1977 and 1978.

Over to you.   Download the CP/M v1.4 Binary, read the manual (I have unzipped and attached as a text file the Alteration Guide for CP/M v1.4) and find out if you can generate an operating system from that.

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:41:05 AM »

The above seems to indicate that it is not illegal to download CP/M or any other software (utilities etc.) from the relevant sites.   If YOU are in any doubt after reading the EULAs to which I have linked YOU should consult a person qualified to advise you on the legality.

Unlike Dos and Windows CP/M is not downloaded and simply installed.   The CP/M bios is hardware dependent and the system must be Generated from the software supplied.   How can I tell you what to download without knowing the hardware on which the system is to be run?    Here are the descriptions of the first and second entries on the Operating Systems section:

CP/M v1.4 Binary : 68K Here is the binary for CP/M v1.4. The BIOS should be for a Tarbell disk controller controller.

EARLY-CP/M : 91K "IMDOS CP/M Compatible: 91K This is an interesting CP/M-like OS for an IMSAI computer. Examining the binaries reveals Digital Research modifications copyright 1976 and IMSAI copyrights dated 1977 and 1978.

Over to you.   Download the CP/M v1.4 Binary, read the manual (I have unzipped and attached as a text file the Alteration Guide for CP/M v1.4) and find out if you can generate an operating system from that.

I did not see anything about downloading CP/M v1.4 binary. I don't even see your attachment. How can i generate an OS out of it?

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:14:06 AM »

See above - I had a weird feeling that becoming involved in this thread would lead to utter confusion.   I have already posted the link to the Operating Systems and CP/M V1.4 Binary is the first on the list.   Once more HERE  IS THE LINK.

As quoted above I will not become involved in Sysgen.   Please read the manuals which can be downloaded from HERE. Scroll down to the Operating Systems section.

The attachment is on the bottom of my previous post.

This is my final response on this thread, I hope someone else picks it up.

Good luck

contrex

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »
          Is it called CP/M or CM/P? It suppose to be DOS but not Fat16 it is suppose to be FAT8. Is it legal to download as an .img file and where can i download it from?

CP/M is not "DOS".

See here for CP/M downloads

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/archive/unofficial/binary.html

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 08:10:40 AM »

CP/M is not "DOS".

See here for CP/M downloads

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/archive/unofficial/binary.html

Ok Should i download the CP/M-68K all three parts? Is there anything else to download besides them three if i go that route? How do i burn them using Nero?

contrex

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »
            CP/M 68K will not work on any modern computer.

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
              Ok what about CP/M-86?  This one then i try to make it as a bootable CD. Do i just click in Nero boot CD and load in the download file? Here is the one i am asking should i download?

CP/M-86 BOOTABLE for 1.44MB FLOPPY

contrex

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
              That may work on a PC if you make the bootable CDROM properly.

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
                That may work on a PC if you make the bootable CDROM properly.

contrex,

I downloaded it. It came as a rar file so i extracted it and it came two more files.  The files are CPM86B144 and another rar file that i didn't extract and the name of that rar is COPYQ324. What file or files in Nero Burning ROM do i load into CDROM BOOT. Do i extract the other file? And load in the proper file into boot and then drag everything into Nero?

contrex

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »
                what do the rar files contain?