Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Administrator Function  (Read 3284 times)

Jeff Smith

Windows XP Administrator Function
« on: November 28, 2004, 01:23:59 PM »
When logged on as the computer administrator, is there a way to set system settings for all the user accounts at once?  For example, can I set the power management settings for all user accounts?  The only way I know how to change all the power management settings for all accounts so they are the same is to change each account to computer administrator, make the change and change the account back to limited account.  

Why doesn't Windows allow the computer administrator settings to control?  For example, I set the power management settings to Hibernate in 2 hours, but if another user is logged in, even if a limited user, that users settings may control how the computer responds.

merlin_2

Re: Windows XP Administrator Function
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:39:15 PM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:42:26 PM by merlin_2 »

Jeff Smith

Re: Windows XP Administrator Function
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I'm still confused.  I do understand about the different types of user accounts.  Currently on the PC, all the accounts are limited, including the account I use day to day.  I've used the administrator account to peform system functions, maintainance, program installations, uninstalls etc.  

My issue is that some of the system settings made via the administrator account don't necessarily override the settings in each of the limited user accounts.  For example, I've accessed power management via the adminstrator account and have set the PC to standby after 2 hours.  However, if the limited user accounts are not also set to standby after 2 hours, the PC may not enter the standby mode.  I noticed that the last user's settings often control.  The only way I've been able to ensure my intended settings are apllied is to change the limited user accounts to administrator or power user and then make the changes to the settings and then change the account back to limited user.

It seems to me to me that the settings applied through the administrator account are not applied globally.  Am I missing something or is that just the way XP works?

In other words, is there a way to use the administrator account to make changes via the control panel that will be applied globally and that will override whatever is set in a particular limited user or power user account?