Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I find "hidden" running programs?  (Read 5080 times)

dianec1967

How do I find "hidden" running programs?
« on: November 28, 2004, 02:22:46 PM »
When I run defrag (Windows ME), a message comes up telling me that programs are running in the background,thus slowing the process to a crawl.  Normally, I shut everything down 'cept explorer & systray. Where are these other programs? arrrrrrrgh!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:23:37 PM by dianec1967 »

merlin_2

Re: How do I find "hidden" running progr
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:28:48 PM »
maybe the screensaver?is causing the defrag to not go beyond 10%

dianec1967

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »
I have my screensaver disabled. That WAS a problem b4 that I managed to figure out (much to my surprise!). I'm thinking it could be spy-ware of some sort lurking around that Ad-Aware hasn't been able to catch. Any thoughts?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 02:50:02 PM »
options right click on the c drive properties click and the click the tools tab ...lanch scandisk...this will check you boot files...the try defrag again...and uplug pc from the net and disable the firewall/anti virus programs if the applies to you? and any others lurking on the bottom task bar....or reboot pc hit the f8 key...safe mode...and run defrag from there or from c:\windows            in the msdos mode....c:\windows defrag     some anti_virus programs running would also stop defrag...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:56:11 PM by merlin_2 »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 04:13:41 PM »
    Running defrat from safe-mode or DOS would be best. Less likely to get distrubed. Or you could buy a defrag tool that lets other programs run in the background. I use Diskeeper and I've noticed a giagantic increase in my computer's performance. I now defrag every day and it takes about 5 mins, seriously.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 03:50:35 AM »
    The cause of defrag failing with ME is System Restore which is always running unless you disable it totally. It can also be cause by your anti-virus program or by Trojans on the system.

But, as the System Restore function will always cause this problem unless disabled or you defrag in safe mode it is FAR better to use ScanDefrag 5·0 which will run cleanmanager, scandisk and defrag automatically for you with the choice of shutting down the computer when the maintenance run is finished or re-starting.

So all you have to do is to run ScanDefrag and switch the monitor off, go make a coffee and by the time you have finished drinking it, the computer should be fully defragmented.

ScanDefrag does all this in Windows pre-loading mode so that other programs cannot interfere with the progress of scandisk and defrag, in the same way that scandisk runs after a bad shutdown ... before allowing Windows to load.