Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot from External Drive  (Read 5757 times)

Dread

Topic Starter

Beginner

Boot from External Drive
    « on: October 02, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
    Hi,

I have a question.
    I have a Laptop (1.5GHz processor, 256MB RAM running windows XP SP2). I also have an external hard drive of 160GB (usb 2.0). The plan is, I want to install another OS (Win XP or Win Server 2003 Enterprise Edition) on the extrernal hard drive AND connect it to the laptop ...
    1) Would it give me boot options at startup if its XP - XP(laptop) or Server 2003 - XP(laptop)?

2) I want to install some softwares like SQL Server 2005. If I just connect the hard drive to the laptop & install the software on the external drive, some registry files would still be installed in the C:(laptop) drive & hence I cannot attach the external drive to another computer, is that right ?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Boot from External Drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
    It is a chore to get XP to boot from an external drive...i suspect the same for Windows Server Edition.
    What is your level of expertise and patience ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dread

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:30:18 PM »
      Good to hear from you.
      Well, I'm not an expert but I can handle the OS installation and BIOS settings. I understand these things take time ... and we might have to experiment & I would have started it by now.

I was hoping to get some answers before I start to install & try it out as I have some data in that external drive.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:51:28 PM »
      First you will need to determine if your motherboard supports booting to a USB device.
      Second i would back up all the data from the external as you probably want to start with an empty drive.

Dread

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
        Is there any way one could install any software on the external drive (e:), without any files on the c: drive ?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
          Most if not all software should install without problems on an external hdd. Just point the software installer to the external drive and install...

There are considerations to take though. If the drive letter for the external drive should change the software installed on it will most likely cease to function. This is easily fixable though by reassigning the old drive letter to the hdd.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Dread

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »
            If the drive letter for the external drive should change the software installed on it will most likely cease to function. This is easily fixable though by reassigning the old drive letter to the hdd.

I'm sorry I dont get that .. ? When you install a s/w on another drive (e:), some files do write in the system in the C: drive, isnt it ? .... & thats how the dependency rises. Pls clarify.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 04:38:14 AM »
              I'm sorry I dont get that .. ? When you install a s/w on another drive (e:), some files do write in the system in the C: drive, isnt it ? .... & thats how the dependency rises. Pls clarify.
              That depends on the software. A lot of software doesn't need to write files to the system drive but some do. But the software should put the bulk of its files to the drive you specify so it shouldn't take up a lot of room on the system drive if that is what worries you.
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

contrex

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »
              The practical answer is, you can get MS-DOS or Linux or Windows PE to boot from an external USB drive, but NOT Windows. Microsoft made it that way. That's NOT as in "canNOT be done".

That doesn't mean that some wannabee teenage uber-geek won't google for, and paste on here, some forum post somewhere in which some masochist actually eventually managed to make some particular hardware combination do it, sort of, but the practical answer is, for people with lives, forget it.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »
              booting from a USB device can be tricky, and, frankly, i have never tried to boot windows from an external drive, nor do i intend to, however, i do know that on a lot of motherboards, booting from a USB device is possible. however, even though some systems claim to be able too, they cant, they just lock up in the boot sequence or do not boot at all. it all depends on the hardware and software, as with the rest of the computer.

Dread

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 02:28:41 PM »
                okay, an alternate thought.

Could I connect the external drive to a desktop (P3 config) & install XP on it  (OR is it the same thing that it CANNOT be done) ?

... After installation, I dont have to boot this when connected to laptop, just use the programs installed on that external drive. The reason I'm messing up with all these is, I need 1GB to install the software. When I try to install, its asking for 500MB of files on the C: drive i.e laptop. I cant use space on the laptop, sp just want to install on the external drive so I could plug & use it anywhere. I guess I made I point.

Thanks in advance !

Flip81

Intermediate

• ben folds
                  « Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »
                  That doesn't mean that some wannabee teenage uber-geek won't google for, and paste on here, some forum post somewhere in which some masochist actually eventually managed to make some particular hardware combination do it, sort of, but the practical answer is, for people with lives, forget it.

lol.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
                  okay, an alternate thought.

Could I connect the external drive to a desktop (P3 config) & install XP on it  (OR is it the same thing that it CANNOT be done) ?

In short...no.
                  Windows XP and everything after it ties itself to the hardware it is installed on...