Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NDISHLP.SYS and booting up  (Read 4750 times)

Amberlisa

NDISHLP.SYS and booting up
« on: November 28, 2004, 05:20:55 PM »
Hello, I think this is the right forum to ask my question, but if it's not, the admin can move it.

Anyway, I have Windows 98, and my computer is about 6 years old.

Several days ago I went to turn on my computer like I always do, and instead of booting up normally, it rebooted in safe mode. I tried rebooting it several times with the same result.

After looking around the internet, I discovered the help section here and figured out it had something to do with a transport driver (??) called NDISHLP.SYS, and that it is linked somehow with another thing called IFHLP.SYS (?)

The help section is a little bit over my head, as I don't do MSDOS or other programming lines and I wasn't able to get directions about what to do with my exact problem. I do have both files....I did option #7, safe mode with command prompt, and it said that both files are there in the computer. They are not missing; NDISHLP.SYS just won't load, and therefore the rest of the computer won't load. I don't know what else to do, so I came here. Hopefully someone will be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

merlin_2

Re: NDISHLP.SYS and booting up
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 05:32:37 PM »
scanreg/fix or scanreg/restore or scandisk /all try the first command first...at the A:\ prompt...so is A:\ scanreg/fix                  and so on..................one of them will do it...hth

Amberlisa

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 06:34:39 PM »
Hi, thanks for replying..where should I go to put in the command?

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 07:48:05 PM »
Can you post the exact error message, please.

Amberlisa

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:06:35 PM »
Ok... I went and used step by step confirmation while booting up, and it said:

C:\>c:\windows\net start
c:\windowsnet start [enter=Y, esc=N]?Y
Invalid value for binding specified
Invalid value for binding specified
Error loading device driver NDISHLP.SYS.
Error 7323: One or more network transport drivers failed to load.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 03:24:11 AM »
Question do you have a modem or network card in your pc.....? if the answer is no thats why you are getting that message.......if the answer yes i do have one of those...use a boot disk...

Amberlisa

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 12:21:36 PM »
Well, my computer is connected to the internet through a D-Link wireless network...the main controller box is with the other computer that works fine (this one) and the computer that doesn't work has an internal D-Link card...

Could you explain more about the boot up disk I should use? Thanks.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
either swap the network card from the pc thats working to the one this is not? this will prove its not a network card but a windows problem....go back to  where you chose step by step confirmation  and answer yes to all...you will end up at the a:\type scanreg\restore after it..

Amberlisa

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:47:42 PM »
Ok......I can't switch the network cards because the main card is a external box, and the one that is in the computer that is not working is a internal one. I don't know how to switch them.

Also, I tried to do the step by step confirmation and said yes to all.....got the error message again in the middle of it, did the yes to all of the drivers, and then it tried to load. I didn't see any a:\ anywhere so I could type in scanreg\restore...where is it supposed to be?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 02:57:08 PM »
what command prompts do you get a:\   or c:\   what is on the screen now....

Amberlisa

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 03:12:55 PM »
I get c:\, which is the hard drive...a:\ is my diskette drive, which I can't use anymore..I have an external floppy drive now which might be something like e:\. Anyway the prompt that shows on the screen is c:\.

Amberlisa

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 03:15:06 PM »
Oh right, should I be using command prompt/safe mode command prompt instead of step by step confirmation?

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »
type this after the c:\scanreg/restore      and chose the last good cab file......answer yes at the first screen that pops up...

Amberlisa

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help...I did what you told me to do, went to safe mode command prompt, typed in scanreg/restore and picked the most recent cab file at the top of the new screen, and presto! I got my computer back. I'm so grateful! :)