Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Volume Icon  (Read 2975 times)

vector

Volume Icon
« on: November 30, 2004, 12:04:23 AM »
The volume icon is missing from task bar (Windows XP). When I go to Control panel, Sounds & Audio devices and click the box "place volume icon on task bar" I get the following message: "Windows cannot display the volume control on the task bar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it use add/remove programs in Control Panel". Can some kind person tell me how to do this?

merlin_2

Re: Volume Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:15:25 AM »
reboot pc and hold down the f8 and chose the last good config.....and type dxdiag in the run box and test for sound...it may report  other things as well...

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:16:50 AM »
    vector.....If you click start /search ........then enter "volume control" in the all files and folders .......all or part of the file name.....you will find it . When you have it right click and create a shortcut.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 12:18:20 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Lloyd Wilson

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »
    Thankyou merlin_2 and dl65 for your prompt responses. I have tried both and neither works for me. Holding f8 while rebooting just rebooted in the normal way. Searching for volume control found nothing so I am still stuck with problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 04:31:42 AM »
    what is the make of this pc?....the f8 key when held down on most pcs  normally drags up the safe mode screen options....when booting........try again...hold down the f8 key.?

Mac

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 06:13:34 AM »
    Strange. I suppose that you do have a sound card in the computer?

What happened to me, about two years ago, when moving this computer from one room to another, was that the sound card fell out of its slot in the motherboard because the OEM had not fitted a retaining screw to hold the card firmly in place.

I would disconnect from the power supply and unplug your modem and printer, etc. take of the left-side panel and lay the computer (if a tower) on its right side on a carpeted floor. Then see if the sound card is properly in its slot in the motherboard.

Take it out and put it back in again in any case and make sure that there is a retaining screw fitted.

You could re-seat the RAM module(s) whilst you are in there and if you have less than 1024Mb of RAM you might want to use the opportunity to check your RAM modules serial numbers and possibly order some more.

XP can use up to 4 x 1024Mb of RAM and if you run dxdiag and can see that there is a paging file, when all of your programs are running then you need more RAM anyway.

More RAM = less paging file, and as RAM is faster than using the paging file your entire system will become faster and more responsive and less likely to hang or freeze up.

Just make sure that you take proper anti-static precautions, don't wer static producig clothing and hold the bare metal with your left hand whilst pressing in the start-button with your right hand to equalise and standing static voltage acrosss the circuitry before touching anything inside.

You can use an anti-static wrist-strap and crocodile clip too but they are rather tedious to use.