Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wirless connection disappears and reappears.  (Read 4174 times)

Theresa Marie

Wirless connection disappears and reappears.
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:46:33 PM »
My wireless connection will disappear completely. When I open network connections, it doesn't show that I ever had a wireless connection. It doesn't have an icon that says that I am not connected or anything. It's just gone. I have to plug my computer into the router to use the internet. It'll pop up about 2 times a day, but after an hour or two, it'll disappear again. Please tell me why this happening and how I can fix it. Thank you very much for your time.

Spero-T

Re: Wirless connection disappears and reappears.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:22:11 AM »
wireless.... erm you might be out of range, you might need to install updated drivers

Theresa Marie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Definitly not out of range. Where do you suggest I install these drivers?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:18 AM »
    Well, first you need to determine what network card is being used (built-in or PCMCIA), then go to that manufacturers site and download the correct ones.  Try that first.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Theresa Marie

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:41 PM »
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's built in since I have a laptop, but I'm not sure. Right now all I know is I have an HP. Ha ha. Did I mention I was a total moron when it comes to computers?

marco

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
      I believe if what you are explaining is the same problem I had, I changed the ip address with the adapter from dynamic to static.  Mine dropped out all the time.  If you are using 802.11g this could be one problem.  I am using 802.11n and I don't drop out at all.  Though I believe when you have a dynamic ip and it updates or changes, you may lose your single for a bit.  Changing to a static one on the computer with the adapter not the one with the router, should help.  If this is the problem you are explaining, try that.  I'm not that big on all this yet, but I'm am going to school for it, so I'm learning too.

Theresa Marie

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
      Okay, well my wireless is connecting now, but it is at limited or no connectivity. Marco, you might know what I'm going through, but unfortunately I don't understand some of the terms you used in your post. Sorryyy.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
        Try this:

1. type   ipconfig    at the run command
        2.  look for the default gateway address
        3. open your browser / type that address / depending on what modem/router you have, login into it (you don't say how you are connected)
        4. in there will be a setting for a static IP / set it to 192.168.x.x (the first 'x' being a 0 or 1, depending on your router)
        5. go into Control Panel / Network Connections / Local Area Connection / Internet Procotol (TCP/IP) / Properties
        6. change your dynamic IP to static and put in the address you did in the modem/router

I know this seems complicated, but if you want a static IP then this is the process

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!