Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New to power connectors, easy question for you guyz. help!  (Read 3104 times)

slowboy

New to power connectors, easy question for you guyz. help!
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:20:57 PM »
Motherboard - ASUS M2R32-MVP
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 AM2 6000+
PSU - OCZ GameXtream 700W

Hi, a quick question, the psu power leads have a 20 pin atx with an extra 4 pin cable attached to it that has 24 imprinted on it, I connect the 20 pin to the main power socket on the motherboard which leaves a 4 pin space? Do I attach this other 4 pin cable with 24 imprinted on it alongside the 20 pin on the mainboard?
Also their is another 4 pin socket close to the cpu which has (ATX12V) what is this for and what do I connect to it? I have 2 other 4 pin power cables labled CPU1 and CPU2 from my psu. what are these for?

Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: New to power connectors, easy question for you guyz. help!
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:37:09 PM »
    Yes you plug in the 4 pin connector (marked 24 pin) next to the 20 connector.
    The 4 pin connector close to the CPU is for CPUs that need an extra 12v connection. (I believe your processor does need it.) Plug in one of those 4 pin connectors marked CPU, doesn't matter which one.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

slowboy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
    hI thanks for the kind info. my 1st pc I built was a pentium 4 with a gigabyte motherboard. I just had the 20 pin main power connector and their wasnt any need for extra power to the cpu. with this newer board/psu and cpu however I was scratching my head. what happened was I just connected the 20 pin and also a pci-e power connector to my graphics card, what I got was - power up/cpu fan on/graphics card fan on/hard drive light stayed on/black monitor screen/both dvd drives wouldnt open and my dvdrw drives busy light stayed on.  :o. maybe it all just didny have the power cap'n'. Ill try what you offered. thank you very much  ;D

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:01:51 PM »
      You've just described the symptoms of the classic "forgot to insert a 4 pin power connector". I think most PC builders have tried that one, I know I have. :)

slowboy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »
      Hilarious thing is - I sent the item back to the website I purchased it from to get it checked for faults and they are sending me a replacemant as they found a fault in the board  ;D how weird is that?, see when you say the 4 pin power connector (the 1 connected to the 20 pin cable or the cpu 4 pin power connector? sorry I am slow hence my username  :P

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
        It was the extra one near the CPU socket I once forgot to plug in... I even rechecked the connections countless times but somehow completely overlooked that plug. Did a lot of head scratching that day. :D
        The effect is pretty much the same though since they're both extra 12v connections. (They're both for the CPU too.) Modern CPUs need a lot of extra juice. :)

Hilarious thing is - I sent the item back to the website I purchased it from to get it checked for faults and they are sending me a replacemant as they found a fault in the board  ;D how weird is that?
        Yep that's weird alright, pretty lucky though. :)

slowboy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:21:30 AM »
        Give yer self a big pat on the back from me  :D

1 final question. If i plug in the 20 pin mainboard connector plus the extra 4 pin connector which is attached to the 20 pin with 24 printed on it alongside the 20 pin connector and also connect 1 of the 4 pin named cpu1 or cpu2 into the 4 pin socket on the motherboard named ATX12V... will I fry anything or is that waht Im suppose to do?  ???

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »
          That is what you're supposed to do. :)

slowboy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »
           ;D Got my new MB through today. remembered to plug in all power connections and hey presto lol.
          Ran into another problem though, I cant enable crossfire in the CCC software. Keeps telling me I havent connected the crossfire bridge interconnections properly, Ive swapped them round and about in every possible combination to no avail. bothe cards are recognised in the device manager however  :-[

PLEH  ;D

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »
            You've plugged the crossfire bridge in to the cards right?
            It should look something like this:
            http://www.wieson.com/manager/upload/proimgs/cross-fire.jpg

slowboy

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »
            YUP, except that crossfire bridge connector in that picture looks dead  :D
            I'm using both connectors as the little white guy on my right shoulder says thats what it needs  ;D
            However the little red guy thats usually on my left shoulder is poking and prodding about with my graphics cards  :(

Thanks so much for the help so far  ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
              Hmm I think someone else will have to take over... don't got personal experience with crossfire so can't really suggest anything else than checking for a newer BIOS version.

slowboy

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:34:50 PM »
              Ok m8 thanks for your support  :) I will try updating the bios  :-\