Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No dial up tone  (Read 3068 times)

Kaspro

No dial up tone
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
When I try to connect to the internet, I receive no dial tone.  All my cables are plugged in and conected.  Is my modem garbage??

kbm292

Intermediate

Re: No dial up tone
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »
    Are you able to connect to the Internet at all?  Are you on High Speed or is this a Dial Up Internet that you are using?  Is it an internal or an external modem?  If it's external, have you tried rebooting it by turning it off and waiting 15 seconds and then turning it back on?  Are you using a router at all?  Can you give us anymore specific information about your computer?  Also is this a new problem?  When did it start happening?  Things like that are important information.  Thanks.

Kaspro

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
    I have Dial Up Internet with an internal modem.  It's a Dell computer.  I've tried for about a week now to dial up-no luck.  I'm not sure what signs to look for but my main concern is having to spend $$$ installing a new modem if it isn't necessary.  There was a thunderstorm that passed through our area about a week and a half ago.  I thought maybe the lightening was the cause.  Is there any way I can tell?  Any suggestions??  Thanks so much.

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »
      Have you called your provider to see if they are aware of any issues?  Also you can check your device manager.  Right click on my computer and select manage from the list.  Then go to device manager and check the status of your modem.  Is there a yellow question mark beside it?  Also what Operating System are you running?

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:54:13 PM »
      When I try to connect to the internet, I receive no dial tone.  All my cables are plugged in and conected.  Is my modem garbage??
      There was a thunderstorm that passed through our area about a week and a half ago.  I thought maybe the lightening was the cause.  Is there any way I can tell?  Any suggestions??  Thanks so much.

Turn your computer off...

Disconnect telephone line from computer...disconnect telephone line from wall outlet...plug telephone cord back into wall outlet...plug telephone line back into the computer.  Please note...ther may be two ports on the back of your computer where you can plug a phone line into.  Make sure you plug it into the correct port...if one doesn't work...try the other.  See if this works...

If it doesn't work, there's a strong possibiliy your modem was fried during the thunderstorm...hopefully, if this the case...you can go to "Wally World" and pick up a modem for around $15...if your computer is a desktop...

If it isn't a desktop...you'll have to contact Dell for a replacement...or repair.

Please note:  During an electrical storm...you should disconnect your computer from any and all power sources...including the phone lines.  If you are using a surge supressor...remember...these protect your system from normal everyday power spikes...NOT direct lightning strikes.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »
        Kaspro. Had exactly this situation a few years back on a US Robotics 56k dial up modem. It was affected by a nearby lightening strike (when everything was actually turned off--blew everything that had a small element in it like fridge lights etc.)You might be lucky and it may only be a phone line problem between the company's terminal box and your computer. However if other phone lines in the house are functioning then if it is not unique to your line to the "line" side of your modem then i fear a modem replacement will be in order. If you have the option try the modem in another computer and see if you get the same result--then at least you can go out and buy another knowing that you had to.best of luck,truenorth

The Saviour

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
        Kaspro. Had exactly this situation a few years back on a US Robotics 56k dial up modem. It was affected by a nearby lightening strike (when everything was actually turned off--blew everything that had a small element in it like fridge lights etc.)You might be lucky and it may only be a phone line problem between the company's terminal box and your computer. However if other phone lines in the house are functioning then if it is not unique to your line to the "line" side of your modem then i fear a modem replacement will be in order. If you have the option try the modem in another computer and see if you get the same result--then at least you can go out and buy another knowing that you had to.best of luck,truenorth

Can't leave for a minute...

The above post is redundant...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 11:54:35 AM »
          The Saviour,
          You seem to be prone to quick off the mark statements and assumptions ie. "pulling tooth" and "the above post is redundant".
          I would be interested to hear you relate to where in any of the replies to Kaspro there was a mention to going beyond just the phone line from the jack to the computer? Or where there was any refference to trying the modem in another computer (particularly given his/her stated concern "my main concern is having to spend $$$ installing a new modem if it isn't necessary."It might cut down on the appologies you need to make if you just accept that maybe others are also trying to be helpful.It has been my experience that often with computers as with life there are generally more than one solution to a problem. Just for your guidance no disrespect intended. :)truenorth

The Saviour

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »
          I don't think I'm prone to them...I just give them out when I feel they're necessary...

Kaspro...

You may also want to invest in a surge protectror...not only for your computer and peripheral protection, but for your computer's installed hardware as well...like your modem and/or NIC (network adapter).

One thing we tend to forget is that most electrical spikes resulting in the damage of computer, or electronic equipment...as well as data loss come from these spikes travelling through data cables and phone lines.  So it may be a good idea to invest in a surge protector or upgrade to one that provides phone line protection as well.

Modems are relatively inexpensive...and depending on what you need...will not require "Mucho denero"...as one may have you believe.  I've seen some modems, online, for as little as $3 (USD).  Just know the seller...before you purchase.

Good luck, Kaspro.

Kaspro

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:39:07 AM »
          Any and all advice I have received is very much appreciated. This is the best forum I've visited.    I went through every power cord and phone line possible and have come to the conclusion that a modem needs to be installed.  I also tried to delete the main connection and install a new one, but to no prevail.
          I'll see what happens next...

The Saviour

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »
          Kaspro...

Here's hoping the damage was only limited to your modem...and nothing else.

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »
            Did you use the Internet Connection Wizard?

deep

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »
              The internet connection wizard will not help you.  Your modem is shot.  Just go buy a cheap one, or better yet, get DSL or cable

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
                Your modem is shot.
                You're probably right but I don't see how you can 'know' this at the moment.