Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems switching screens  (Read 1832 times)

michaeld

Problems switching screens
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
Hi,

I am a reasonably experienced user but this problem has totally confused me!

I am switching from a Dell 2405WFP monitor (24" widescreen, 1900x1200) to a Dell E228WFP (22" widescreen, 1690x1050). I am actually going to use two of these in dual monitor but that is irrelevant here.

I am using DVI plugs for both my 2405 and E228.

My computer (custom built, with a 8800GTS gfx card and running Vista x64 ultimate) will not boot onto the screen.

I can boot with my 2405, switch the plugs and the display will output fine onto the E228, but if I say restart from there, nothing will show on the screen, not even BIOS.

Interestingly when I connected the E228 up to the second DVI port when using the 2405, Vista recognised it but said "Generic Non-PnP Screen" as opposed to "Generic PnP Screen" (which my 2405 shows as). I could also not extend my desktop onto the monitor from this situation.

I have tried updating, disabling, and reinstalling NVidia graphics driver.

Basically the only way I seem to get my computer to display onto this monitor is by tricking it and switching the plugs.

Any suggestions? Any help would be massively appreciated! I was excited to receive these screens and have never had these kind of problems with screens before, they have always worked straight out of the box.