Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a way to test motherboard/CPU, but..  (Read 2967 times)

Dead_reckon

Need a way to test motherboard/CPU, but..
« on: September 18, 2007, 04:50:21 AM »
i need a way to test if this motherboard i have or CPU i have is bad, the motherboard is a socket LGA775 foxconn NF4SLI7AA, the CPU is a pentium d 805 smithfield 2.66/2m/533. recently when i installed a tuniq tower on my CPU, my computer started to boot fine, then it just shut off in the boot process and would not show video, or even heat up the chipset, GPU (i have tried several video cards), or the CPU. the reason as to why i am unsure if the CPU or motherboard is bad is because the northbridge heatsink popped off while booting, i did not notice this untill after it turned off. my guess is that the Nvidia Nforce4 chipset cooked when the heatsink popped off. i do not have another motherboard to test this hardware on, all i have is 478 boards and this socket A board around here. so, are there physical signs that i can look for to see if the northbridge is burnt out, or if the CPU is bad? or, which, im hoping isnt the case, the motherboard and CPU are fried?

as a note, when i removed the RAM, and powered on the system, it did not give me any beep code. also, i have tried video cards in the PCI, and PCI-E 16x slots, neither seem to function, and strangely enough, none of the fans plugged into the motherboard power on with the system. the power supply has been tested in this system and is stable, so has the PCI video card. i HIGHLY doubt its a sudden RAM failure, because it would be beeping if it was, i tested this board when i got it to ensure it had a beep code for no ram detected. the tuniq tower was snug, it cannot over tighten and damage the CPU, its designed so it cant. all of the capacitors look good on the motherboard, i know a blown or damaged cap when i see one, and i see none on this board. i am beginning to think its the board, but i am not 100% sure, only about 90%, its the 10% unsure factor thats bothering me. yes, for the point of stating it, EVERYTHING was plugged in, the hard drive is functional and in this computer functioning properly as i type this. as i said, i have no other board or CPU to test on this system, but all logic would say that its the CPU. however, i would like the advice of anyone who can help. thanks in advance. oh, the RAM is a gig stick of super talent  PC5300, DDR2 667.