Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Xp ,Desktop P4,can not shut down  (Read 4765 times)

kuttu80

Windows Xp ,Desktop P4,can not shut down
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »
I can not shut down my computer.

RAM : 256
Processor : P4

Whenever i try to shut down the computer restarts.

Can any one help ???

spiderlucci

Re: Windows Xp ,Desktop P4,can not shut down
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:57:33 PM »
I have a few things you can try!
1. click on start-run-msconfig-startup tab- clear them all.. after all there the programs that run in the background.  This will not disable the program from working when you want to really use them.... all you have to do is start them up yourself.

warning:donot go into the service tab at all!

2.click start-run-regedit-Hkey_Local_Machine,system,current controlset,control.
and on your right side of the pane it will say "waittokillservice..double click it and set the value data to 300

3.this is to make sure your PC doesn't restarts or at least it shouldn't.
right click my computer-go to properties-click on the advanced tab-startup and recovery tab and uncheck automatically restart and click on OK.

let me know what happen and good luck ;D
spider

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:59:52 PM »
Clear everything in msconfig ? ?
Have you done this in the past ? ?...if so what were the results ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »
    what programs run in the background of your computer. What happens if you close these before shutting down?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:08:27 PM »
    I have a few things you can try!
    1. click on start-run-msconfig-startup tab- clear them all.. after all there the programs that run in the background.  This will not disable the program from working when you want to really use them.... all you have to do is start them up yourself.

Bad idea to uncheck them all. Let spider try it first and post back. Be sure and uncheck them all.  ;)

spiderlucci

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
    I have done this in the past and it work fine.
    when you start windows you'll notice the system clock tray.. with all the programs next to it.

if your not using it at the time.. why turn them on besides This will not disable the program from working when you want to really use them.
    if you want to make yourself feel safe... you can do a few programs at a time.
    I really don't think you'll have a problem anyway... let's say you disable the programs from the start-up tab from Msconfig and you want to use you norton or what ever antivirus you use .... just go to your programs and turn it on.... no problem at all.... Just make sure you don't go into service tab.

as for the rest of my tips... your fine with that.

ohh yea, all my programs from the start up tab are disable and I am fine.
    Your OS will loadup faster too!

good Luck!
    spider

;)

spiderlucci

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
    "I will break this done in english... why it was a good idea to do what I said.
    this is why I always go into msconfig which will not hurt your computer or the programs at all.
    even if it's XP compat.... some programs just fight each other.
    nature of the beast... that all I can say... but, here is more info".

"there is no wrong way.. The info I gave you above was just a short cut to ease your pain and make it quicker"

Shutdown problems in Windows XP are most commonly caused by what is know in computer circles as legacy hardware - old technology components and peripherals that are not Plug and Play (PnP) devices - and software-compatibility issues.

If your computer was shutting down, but all of a sudden it won't shut down properly, or it restarts during the shutdown, if you installed any new software or drivers, remove the software via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, or use the Roll Back Driver feature in the Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and find the device, double-click on its entry and open its Driver tab) to restore the old driver. If you discover that a driver is the cause of the problem, try downloading and installing the latest driver for the device from its manufacturer's site. If you installed any new hardware immediately before the problem occurred, obtain the latest driver file available for it in the same way. If the device still causes the problem with the latest driver installed, try a different make and model.

Goodluck!  :)
    spider

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:33:06 AM »
    Although this method may help temporarily with his/her shutdown issue it won't help determine what the actual problem is...

spiderlucci

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:10 PM »
    well, he can always go into msconfig and click the service tab... which I was trying to make sure he stay alway unless you know what your doing. check hide all Microsoft service and disable one at a time to find out which program is doing it.... also remember which ones you disable so you can set it again.

I hope this help  :)
    spider

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
    The problem is you are giving this advice regularly without knowing the user's level of expertise...what happens when they are unable to boot ? ?

Besides it is not a cure-all for Computer woes and should only be used to diagnose a problem...not as a Band-Aid.

spiderlucci

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:50:36 PM »
    Patio Do you know my expertise and are you helping ???
    no, instead you trash me >:(

The infomation I'm giving ... if he or she follow my instruction right..... it won't have a problem and it won't have a boot issue either.
    if it does... then there is other issue going on ... big issue and it won't be my fault.

All I'm trying to do is narrow it down ... that's what most tech do.. and you can't tell me they don't.

This is not a band-aid either.... you start out with the simple things and work your way...if someone had a HD that said when booting up the computer..."NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE" What would you do change the HD?... I heard some of the guys on line say.."change the HD and you would not believe who said it... but, I'm not going to talk or trash him or her.... I would at least try to repair the MBR.....now that is simple and the right protocal to do.

There is one thing I did forget to tell him/her.... check for a virus.
    I seen issue like this that happen and these are the correct info to narrow it down.
    Patio, what do you have... some kind of ego or you just hate me.

You should know better to ask about Msconfig....startup tab will not hurt the computer.
    I guess my computer is going to have problems now :o
    at least I'm helping
    seeya spider

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:13:30 PM by spiderlucci »