Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem w/ Drivers? System won't recognize newly installed ethernet adapter  (Read 4422 times)

Starchile

Hello All:

Although I don't know much about computer technology, I'm no idiot and can follow directions...PLEASE HELP!

Here is the deal.

I recently switched over to ATT/YAhoo high speed internet from broadband.  The installation disk notified me that I needed to install an ethernet adapter so I installed a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR 32-bit 10/100/1000Mbps Copper Gigabit Ethernet adapter into my HP Pavilion 8670C (Intel Pentium III Processor, Windows XP, 30 GB hard drive and a 128 MB memory.)

I made sure that the adapter was firmly pressed in place and screwed in.  I ran the installation disk that came with the product but right off the bat I noticed that it never gave me the option to "select drivers" as it said that it should have in the instruction manual that came with it.

After installing the ethernet adapter software anyway, the ATT/Yahoo installation program STILL says that it can't find the adapter.

I called ATT/Yahoo and they told me that it sounded like I needed the "disk drivers" which would be on the installation disks that originally came with the computer (WHICH I DON'T HAVE) or I needed to get it from Hewlett Packard (the maker of the computer). 

I called HP and they said b/c the computer is so old, they don't carry the disks anymore.  :(

My question is: WHAT EXACTLY do I need and is there any other way to get it???

Thank you for your time!!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:59:01 PM by Starchile »

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem w/ Drivers? System won't recognize newly installed ethernet adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:54:32 AM »
try find the driver here
www.driverguide.com
but i'm sure xp didn't need installation disc for the ethernet adapter.

Starchile

Re: Problem w/ Drivers? System won't recognize newly installed ethernet adapter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
Maybe I should also add that the computer did not come with Windows XP...I think maybe Windows 98.  I installed XP later.

I appreciate the link but I still don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

???