Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstalling Explorer with Dos command?  (Read 1935 times)

sarajan

Uninstalling Explorer with Dos command?
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:59:20 PM »
Hi, anyone:

My laptop started kicking me off of Explorer, so I reluctantly went in and downloaded all of the updates I'd been avoiding -- all of them except Version 7, which believe it or not "broke" my HP scanning software on my desktop (which is why I stayed with 6 on the laptop). Anyway, I wasn't surprised to see that a windows verification tool was one of the updates being installed, figuring that was probably why I'd been getting kicked off.

However, after the installation, 0not only will explorer not open, neither will AOL.. That's all I've tried re getting to other programs. I can't even get the control panel open. It won't even send an error report, and I can't access my wireless network either.

My original thinking was that I could uninstall explorer, then use AOL dial-up to either reinstall explorer or just give up and go to Mozilla. Now, that's out of the question. I can, however, get to a c: prompt. Does anyone have any idea how to uninstall explorer from the c: prompt, whether that would actually be a good idea -- or what else to try instead?

Kind regards,
Jan
[email protected]

Viper

Re: Uninstalling Explorer with Dos command?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:33:39 AM »
It is not possible to remove internet explorer, it is a core part of windows.
AOL will not work if internet explorer does not work.
You can not send error reports without a working internet connection.
The windows verification check is required before you can download updates.
The fact you can not enter control panel leads me to belive there is something wrong with your system files. You may be able to access it from safe mode (boot while pressing F8)
What kind of wireless device are you using? USB, PCMCIA, or internal? Are you using the wireless software that came with the device? Do you have other computers connected to the router that are able to browse normally? Is encryption enabled? Answers to these questions will help us to solve your problem. Wireless internet problems are generally caused by incorrect software or configuration.  :)