Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing Network  (Read 5803 times)

afireinside

Sharing Network
« on: September 22, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
I want to set up a network on my computer but I never created one before, I have a ethernet cable connected from the computer to the router, and an even longer ethernet cable connected from the router all the way downstairs in my room. I want to access all the files on the C drive on the upstairs computer, use remotedesk top to control upstairs computer, and printer sharing to use upstairs printer...

The image bellowshows what I have done sofar, on the upstairs computer, but I can't find the specific drive downstairs on my laptop :S

Please can anyone offer me a hand thanks ^.^ ;D
-benjy-

afireinside

Re: Sharing Network
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:06:52 AM »
Okay I managed to find the drive on the downstars laptop, but program files and documents are restricted how do I get full access???

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:26:57 AM »
    You need an user account with the necessary rights to access those shares. It can be done in a few ways.
    My recomendation: create a common user account on both computers (same name and password). Share the folders you need and give rights to that user.

For a remote desktop program I recommend you RealVnc (it's free).

redeye

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
      You can use RealVNC, or you could use the remote desktop built into Windows XP Professional (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications). It might also be in XP home, but I haven't tried it in that version.