Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overheating Laptop?!  (Read 3156 times)

dairyman

Overheating Laptop?!
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:33:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook with Windows XP Service Pack 2.

If I leave the AC Adapter plugged in for 5 minutes or so, it will start overheating.
My main concern is that the part that is overheating is right next to the battery.

I bought the notebook PC about 4 years ago.

Also, this is weird, the fan starts running when my screen is at normal brightness.

Compaq is no longer getting my $1000 dollars. I'm getting an Toshiba next time.

BIOS Setup? Get new computer? What do I do?

Thank you in advance.

oxymoron_02

Re: Overheating Laptop?!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Are you absolutely and completely sure that it hasn't always heated up like this; or is it just that you've only just noticed?

Depending on the layout of the charge system, if the transformer (for 'converting' electrical outlet power into the smaller doses used by your laptop's battery) is built in to the laptop, then this heating is perfectly fine. The transformer has to do something with all that energy, and since it translates it through a magnetic field, that creates a lot of heat energy as a byproduct.

Mind you, if you're leaving it in while fully charged this is generally unadvisable. While in theory the laptop should automatically realise "Oh hey, I'm on AC now" sometimes they do get a tad confused and start using the battery and AC, leading to a constant charging, and much overheating.
All in all it's not something I would worry about too much, as long as you keep your eye on it.

On the fan-brightness front I won't comment, as that's nowhere near my field of limited expertise.

dairyman

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:37:33 PM »
Oh, alright. I did leave it in while it has fully charged.  :-[

Thank you!

elxr06

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
get yourself a laptop fan or cooler, to help keep your laptop from getting fried.

Here's amazon's site on the item I am taking about:
Link Edit
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:55:21 PM by patio »