Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build...bad power supply?  (Read 2402 times)

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Who am I and how did I get here?
    New build...bad power supply?
    « on: September 22, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »
    I took my friend to Microcenter last night to get parts for a new computer.  She's on disability and uses it mostly for Pogo games and email and such.  The salesman there put together a system for the budget she had.  They then assembled the motherboard, processor and memory and did a post test.  I brought everything home, put it together and plugged it in.  Switched on the power supply and nothing....no lights, no fans, nothing.  It's an El Cheapo Deluxe case that came with a 450W power supply.  Is the power supply the obvious problem and can I do anything to check that it is?

ECS GeFORCE6100SM-M motherboard with integrated video.
    AMD Sempron 3400 processor
    1GB Corsair ValueSelect DDR2 memory
    WD Cavier 250GB SATA drive
    XION Solaris case w/ 450 W

I'm going to call Microsenter when they open but I thought maybe there was something I could try first.  
    Thanks.

The Saviour

Re: New build...bad power supply?
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:34:53 AM »
    This is a new computer and tested fine at the store before bringing it home...right?

Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked the wall outlet where you have it plugged in?  Is the power to that outlet controlled by a switch on the wall?  If so, you may want to see if the outlet has electricity going to it by plugging something else into it.  If you're using a surge protector...is the surge protector turned on?

If worse comes to worse...you can always take it back to the store...that's your best bet since it is under warranty.

Keep us posted...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:37:25 AM »
    From my experience MicroCenter builds rock solid machines that run very well...but everyone has a bad day from time to time.
    I'd say return it immediately and tell them to upgrade the PSU.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »
      I used the same power strip my monitor and printer is on for my computer so I know I'm getting power.  I even switched outlets on it to make sure.  I just got off the phone with Microcenter and they said just to leave it all assembled and bring it back for a diagnostic.  They said it seems like a bad psu too.  I'll let you all know when I get back.  Thanks for the input.

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »
        OK, I'm embarrassed.  Apparently I had a connector from the front panel to the motherboard on backwards.  And I double checked everything, too.  Guess that's what I get for trying to do things at 2 AM..lol  Anyway, it's all fired up, OS installed on the SATA drive, putting other things back. 

One more question.....the SATA drive will be the new boot up drive.  Now can I add the old PATA drive on the IDE channel and run some of the stuff I have on it without the 2 systems clashing?  Or do I have to reinstall the rest of the programs on it?