Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help, Sound Card Problems  (Read 3543 times)

William Palumbo

Please Help, Sound Card Problems
« on: December 01, 2004, 05:23:58 PM »
Hello everyone, im usually good with comouters, but this time i just don't know.
I formatted my computer, everything is good, i'm on the internet, chatting, then i realize i have no sound, and if i try to open a program using sound it says i don't have a sound device. I tried going to device manager and reinstalling the driver of "Multimedia Audio Controller" bu i don't have the software. I just have the generic card that came with my computer, how can the computer just not read my card anymore? plz help me, i love sound, and i need it.

merlin_2

Re: Please Help, Sound Card Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:32:17 PM »
>do you have a sound car d to find out any problems type dxdiag in the run box...click the start button>run

William Palumbo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »
I ran that dxdiag, and went to sound. It says "No sound card was found.  If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."
I don't know what sound card  it is, is there a way to find out, if the computer can't even see it? I know i have a sound card because i was playing games, up until i formatted, which took an hour, and then all of a sudden nothing. Should i buy a new sound card? and if so what do u recomend that's affordable?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
    William Palumbo......Well you could dash out and buy another sound card......but wait !.....why not look in your device manager and see what sound card you have and then......visit Driverquide.com and D/L the necessary drivers and what has been misplaced will be heard.

let us know how you make out

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

William Palumbo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:07:55 PM »
    Ok, i went to device manager and looked, i have these things under sound, video ang ame controllers:
    Audio Codecs
    Audio Codecs (yes twice)
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs
    Under Other Devices I Have:
    Ethernet Controller
    HP Deskjet
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    SM Bus Controller

Im no soundcard buff, but none of those sound like card models. I'm not even sure what driver to install, let alone which of them to install to.
    Thanks for bearing with me guys, i really appreciate the help

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »
      William Palumbo.....Can you tell us what MOBO you have and which operating system are you using.  I'm a little suspicious that you do require another sound driver ......I dont think MS supports legacy any more .

dl65 ::)
      « Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 07:19:15 PM by dl65 »

William Palumbo

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 07:59:04 PM »
      I couldn't figure out what kind of motherboard, I think mabye Intel 82801ba/CA PCI Bridge - 244E (?)
      Im running:
      Windows XP
      p4 2.6ghz
      512mb RAM
      128mb GEFORCE FX 5200
      40gb HDD

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 08:53:01 PM »
        William Palumbo......Reboot your pc .......look carefully as it boots up ...the MOBO should show up on the first screen up new the top, I think . Is your sound card is integrated ( on board)?

dl65  ::)

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 10:33:43 PM »
        Hello everyone, im usually good with comouters, but this time i just don't know.
        I formatted my computer, everything is good, i'm on the internet, chatting, then i realize i have no sound, and if i try to open a program using sound it says i don't have a sound device. I tried going to device manager and reinstalling the driver of "Multimedia Audio Controller" bu i don't have the software. I just have the generic card that came with my computer, how can the computer just not read my card anymore? plz help me, i love sound, and i need it.

Install proper soundcard drivers..

William Palumbo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 10:20:39 AM »
        I restarted, it went from intel screen, to windows screen with the loading bar, so i don't know what mobo is is. Yes it is integrated, i bought this comp a year ago, and the hardware is already completey outdated?

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »
        and the hardware is already completey outdated?

You'll have to get used to that.

The name of your mainboard should be printed on the print circuit. Usually in white letters and most likely near the PCI slots. However, that varies per mainboard.