Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with starting windows XP after installing new graphics card  (Read 3128 times)

Qalarr

Hi!

About a week ago the graphics card of my wife's computer stopped working (Nvidia 6600 AGP) - the pre-bios start-screen was distorted and windows didn't start. We still had spare parts and re-installed the older card, that was used before we bought the Nvidia.
The system worked just fine until the replacement for the Nvidia card arrived today (same card). The start-screen does not distort anymore but windows won't boot. Reinstalling the drivers for the graphics card in safe mode didn't solve the problem.
So again, we installed the older card, but windows still won't start! I can access the safe mode, but everything seems to work just fine.

I could not find anything about this by searching myself and I hope, this problem belongs in the hardware forum.

Thanks for help and ideas!

Dnallov

Re: problem with starting windows XP after installing new graphics card
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »
Sounds if you'll have to do a systam restore - I had this problem with Nvida, whta I done (after exsperiansing your problem) is systam restore, started windows (should start fine), DON'T start the install CD insteadad let windows detect, and install the drivers from the internet.  Then things should be fine.

Gud luck

Qalarr

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the answer.

I already did a system restore and installed drivers from the web - but I still couldn't start windows in normal mode.
Any other ideas, maybe?
Thanks in advance.

Dnallov

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
Ok try this one: -

Start up in safe mode, Go to device manager, then find you graphics card driver.  Uninstall it and reset windows.  See if windows starts up normaly.  Then try letting windows install the driver, OR go to Nvidias web site and install the latests driver for your graphics card

Let me know how you get on with that