Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lost my desktop icons  (Read 17269 times)

rambo

lost my desktop icons
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »
i am currently only able to use my computer via crtl+alt+del (i cannot right click on the background either) due to my desktop icons and start bar no longer being there. i believe the reason for this is i have somehow deleted the explorer.exe file, and i dont know how im able to fix this problem.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: lost my desktop icons
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »
More info including what happened and which flavor of Windows...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rambo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
thanks for the reply. i have windows xp. i was deleting the information from my cookies folder and other such folders as like a clean up operation and i think i must have accidently deleted the explorer.exe file,i may have done this though my temp and temporayinternet file. i researched this on the web and found some previous forums with people suggesting going into your explorer.exe file but when i type the filelocation in it says cannot find the file etc.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
What is it like in safemode ? ?
Do you have an XP CD in case a repair install is needed ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »
    rambo .......  Well...if you are certain that you created the issue, go into sysystem restore and restore things back to the last restore point point before you deleted your desktop.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rambo

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
    in safemode the computer is the same with no icons and startbar. i do not have my xp cd,this is because a family friend put toghther and sorted out mycomputer but in the pile of cds he left there was no windows xp cd.thank you

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:49 PM »
      Try running rstrui.exe from ctrl+alt+del. I believe that is the System Restore application.

elxr06

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:54:49 PM »
      Try running rstrui.exe from ctrl+alt+del. I believe that is the System Restore application.

No although restrui.exe is the system restore function, you cannot access that from the cntrl+alt+del. you need to go to command prompt.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:. %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Then follow directions to restore computer to earlier restore, given that you do have an earlier restore created

rambo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 05:12:24 AM »
      about the system restore. i have not created a previous restore point myself, but will the computer automatically have a restore point, like a default restore point or something?. also will a system restore really work?

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
        « Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »
        Unless System Restore was disabled for some reason, it should automatically create restore points.

Richenstony

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »
        Ok read here : http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060614025751AAoFzRG

Most people are telling you to reformat .......

I would read everything on that page all coments if your unsure about some of them post back and we will try and help you out a little more :)

Tony : Here to serve :)

rambo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
        thank tou both for the reply. i will try the things on the link provided, if i dont have any luck doing that my only option may only be to do a system restore.thank you

rambo

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:59 PM »
        i have tried the the 1st comment going into safe mode didnt work. i then tried a scan with ad-aware and deleted the files it found which were 2 and not any danger, however it would not let me perfrom a scan with kaspersky saying my key had expired. in another comment it suggest createing another user, but i dont know the way i could do this without control pannel. in my processor i have a few .exe that i do not know if they are good or dangerous, i aslo have no exploere.exe here. another comment suggests somebody sending explorer.exe via e-mail but they were unsure if that can be done or work, im totally stumped. i am a bit unsure about a system restore because i do not know how to do one and if i did do one would have have to reinstall things like my wireless conection beacuseif i did i would find it near impossible to do so correctly.

Richenstony

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
        Ok see now i would just reformat...... i dont waste time in saying that if im persaonlly stumped maybe another member has a better idea but ive tryed everything to my knowleage and one of the suggestions that was quoted on there as right by a top poster is to reformat your computer ...... or repare upon a x-p disc boot .... its totally up 2 you , if there is a way to back up certain files nows the time to do it .....

Tony :)

rambo

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »
        i assume that reformat is the same as system restore, how doi do this and if this works willi have to reinstall programs like my wireless.