Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lost my desktop icons  (Read 17270 times)

wverb0783

Re: lost my desktop icons
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »
If it is possible, it is best to try using a system restore point. it's quick and very easy and you should be able to do this as most systems are automatically set to make a restore point when a major event takes place. for example adding new software. and stuff like that. If you can't use a restore point to restore to an earlier time, you will want to do a repair installation of windows. this will fix your problem and you should not lose any files or data.

Good luck. P.S. there is no reason you should have to reformat your hard drive with a clean install. you will lose all data for no reason.

Richenstony

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »
Reformatting your Windows XP computer will erase everything on your hard drive and reinstall the operating system. To avoid losing your data (documents, pictures, music, etc.), you will want to backup your information prior to reformatting. See the ITS Help Desk Personal Data Backup Support Center for more information. After you have reformatted your computer, you will need to reinstall all of your personal data, as well as any software products you may use (for example, Microsoft Office, iTunes, Symantec AntiVirus, etc.).

Reformatting your Windows XP computer has three main parts:

* Reformatting the computer from your operating system CD.
    * Reinstalling the drivers that came with your computer.
    * Running Windows Update to reinstall all security updates and patches.

Please contact the ITS Help Desk (384-4357) prior to reformatting your computer if you have questions about any of these processes involved.

NOTE:  If you have a network connection, please unplug from the network before starting installation.

1. First, make sure that your computer is set to Boot to CD.  This is a different procedure depending on your computer.  When your computer first boots look for an option to enter the BIOS settings.  Under the BIOS settings find the "Boot Order" and make sure the CD-ROM is set to boot first.  If you have any problems with this please contact the ITS Help Desk at 319-384-HELP.

2. With the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM drive, save your BIOS settings and exit.

3. If you've done everything correctly you should be asked to "Press Any Key to Boot from CD".

4. After installing the necessary setup files, Windows XP will display your partitions.  Delete any existing partitions by selecting the desired partition with the arrow keys, press D to delete and then L to confirm the deletion.

5. You should now have only one option, "Unpartitioned Space".  Press Enter to install Windows XP to the unpartitioned space.

6. When asked how you would like to format the partition, select "Format using the NTFS file system".

7. After the partition is formatted, Windows XP will begin installation.  The computer will reboot.  While the computer is rebooting, please do not touch any keys.  From now on the screens will look like the following:

8. Enter your product key.  If you purchased Windows XP from the IMU Bookstore, the product key will be located on the back of the sleeve your CD came in.  If you are reformatting using a Windows XP CD that came with your computer, the product key may be located on a sticker somewhere on your computer case.

9. When asked for Network Settings, choose "Typical Settings".

10. Windows XP will now complete installation.  Upon completion you will need to re-install the drivers for your hardware (Modem, Sound, Video, etc).  Many PC companies such as Dell, Gateway, and HP will include a "Driver Installation CD" with the computer.  Simply insert the CD and follow the instructions.  Otherwise, you can download current drivers from many manufacturer's support web sites. If you have any problems please contact the ITS Help Desk at 319-384-HELP.

11. Next turn on the Internet Connection Firewall.  Instructions to turn on the Internet Connection Firewall can be found here.

12. Reconnect your computer to the Network.

13. Run Windows Update by opening Internet Explorer,  then clicking on Tools -> Windows Update.  Follow the on-screen instructions for installing critical updates.

14. Restart your computer.

Richenstony

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »
If it is possible, it is best to try using a system restore point. it's quick and very easy and you should be able to do this as most systems are automatically set to make a restore point when a major event takes place. for example adding new software. and stuff like that. If you can't use a restore point to restore to an earlier time, you will want to do a repair installation of windows. this will fix your problem and you should not lose any files or data.

Good luck. P.S. there is no reason you should have to reformat your hard drive with a clean install. you will lose all data for no reason.
Why are you double posting ?

wverb0783

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
You said you assumed that using a restore point is the same as reformatting, that is NOT true. i strongly advise against reformatting in this situation, as it seems unnecessary at this point. a system restore point, reformat/clean install (of windows), and a repair installation are 3 different things.

Read this link, skip right to the "skip to repair install"

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

Richenstony

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
You said you assumed that using a restore point is the same as reformatting, that is NOT true. i strongly advise against reformatting in this situation, as it seems unnecessary at this point. a system restore point, reformat/clean install (of windows), and a repair installation are 3 different things.

Read this link, skip right to the "skip to repair install"

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI
I didnt advise him to i gave him the option and my FORMAL OPINION... as i have ran out of ideas ... the guide is there if he really wants to reformat.....  >:(

rambo

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 02:45:37 PM »
Richenstony thank you very much for the information and help you have provided me with,however i do not have a windows cd and so im not able to do a reformating and it looks like i need a windows cd for the option wverb0783 provided. would a system restore work and can i do one without a windows cd?thank you

Richenstony

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
Richenstony thank you very much for the information and help you have provided me with,however i do not have a windows cd and so im not able to do a reformating and it looks like i need a windows cd for the option wverb0783 provided. would a system restore work and can i do one without a windows cd?thank you
Its defiantly worth a try , system restore has never ever ever ever worked for me in tricky situations so i don't use it i tend to hunt around for information or i usually generally know ...... try your restore if it works great if it doesn't consider getting a x-p disc there not pricey at all .....

Please look into getting a disc .

rambo

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
thank you, i will try a system restore because it looks like my only realistic option. however i am unsure how to do one and will i have to reinstall all my software and internet?thanks

Richenstony

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, as shown in Figure 2, and then click Next.

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

Goodluck let us know if it worked :)

rambo

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
cheers for the very quick reply, but i do not have a the start bar across the bottam of my screen either, is there a way of accessing system restore through ctrl+alt+del? 

Richenstony

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 04:42:53 PM »
Ok

1. crl alt and del

2. file

3. new task run

4. type :  "MSCONFIG" and click on "OK

5. Now Click on "LAUNCH SYSTEM RESTORE"

6. Leave Defaults and Click "NEXT"

Gdluck again

Tony :)

Let us know how it turns out :D

rambo

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 04:45:43 PM »
again thank you for the super quick reply. i stillhave another question willi have to install software again?thanks

Richenstony

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »
Well that only depends on how far back you deside to go before your system went down.....

Example:
You install a AVG into your computer harddrive on the 22nd of July and you restore your computer for the 20th of July to will loose AVG as system restore is choosing the last known configuration that worked .

So in theory yes you will loose some data either way .....

rambo

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
thank you. i am not to bothered about having to install something likeitunes again,its my internet im really bothered about. going to doa restore illlet youknow how it went. thank you

Richenstony

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »
Your welcome and i highley doubt you will loose your internet :)

Make sure you post back with the results part of us giving help is seeing if we helped :) its the buzz :D