Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd rom no longer plays dvd's. why?  (Read 3916 times)

lobo5050

dvd rom no longer plays dvd's. why?
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »
HI i have reasently purchased the dvd perfect stranger and as i allways do i tryed to make a backup copy for general use.afterwords i would place the original in to my collection to keep it pristeen.i use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter to accomplish this.an error message came up in the dvd shrink program telling me that it can not complete the task due to unknown copywrite protection.so i shut down the program and tried it again,thats when i discovered my dvd rom no longer worked properly.the dvd rom will still read music cd's both original and burned.it will read dvd-r's that do not have copy wright matterial on it.it will not read dvd-rw's or dvd movies both original and burned.i strongly suspect the dvd perfect stanger caused this problem.what i need to know is, is there away to get to the dvd rom to change the settings hoping that thats all thats needed.and if so how?or will i have to use the windows xp cd to repair the problem.my system is windows xp pro version 2002 pentium 4 2.4 ghz 512 mb of ram custum builti hope i have explained my problem well enough.and i hope you can help.thank you all.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: dvd rom no longer plays dvd's. why?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »
Sounds like the DRM people are getting slicker...google for DRM movie listings and see if your title is on the list...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: dvd rom no longer plays dvd's. why?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:11:40 AM »
I have heard of this happening...Sony released a Audio-CD a while back that when placed into a computer, silently installed a program that stopped their own disks running due to too tight DRM protection, and it killed 100's of computer's OSes across the globe. I heard a fix was to hold the shift key down while inserting the disk...This disables Autorun and it should work from there, though do it once to make the accesibility feature thing show up and disable the hotkey for it (hold shift for 5+ seconds) and then try the disk again :)