Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clean system format  (Read 2312 times)

bradb2007

Clean system format
« on: September 25, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
Okay, so I bought this computer from my brother. I had XP professional installed and the thing was working great used it like that for about a month. Then I decided to revert back to XP Home cause that was the OS that came with the computer atleast then I would be on a legal (my copy) OS. Anyways, I ordered the CD's from Compaq My computer is SR1817CL. The only thing that has changed in the computer is the hard drive unfortunatley I am having to use a 120GB IDE drive but it is 7200rpm's anyways, when I loaded the 10 CD recovery disks for this computer it finally finished after about a 3 hour process and it is so slow sometimes. Before I could actually play DVD's and stuff with professional. My beleif is that either compaq's recovery disks suck or I have to delete alot of this preinstalled software like misc games and stuff i'll never use or pop out the modem cause I don't use it anyways. I have a Athlon 64 2.0ghz with 1.2gb of available RAM. This is kinda rediculous also I've tried a couple of applications like Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and CCleaner or whatever. Is this a common issue? also is there anyway to like extract XP Home from the disks or format and install a clean XP Home OS? I'll be on all night so just lemme know what you think.

Thanks...

Brad

PS: Could it be that an IDE hard disk is just too slow for all the Compaq Apps that came with it considering it was standard with a 200gb SATA?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Clean system format
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

bradb2007

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
Okay, I guess maybe I should remove the old drivers first or something. Are there any programs out there that are free trials or something to check all devices. I am guessing it would probably be the mainboard drivers. But yesturday I installed all the drivers of HP's site. Don't see how going to an older driver would make much of a difference?!?!

Brad

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »
Sometimes the old drivers work fine and the new ones have problems.

Go Figure.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

vindi

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
Sometimes the old drivers work fine and the new ones have problems.

Go Figure.
very true