Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My bios system won't boot up  (Read 5501 times)

corse321

My bios system won't boot up
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
Hi, I have a question about my computer.

To start, my computer was built with various hardwares I bought in summer of 2001, I have also replaced the hard drive, the video card and computer casing before.

The problem: I was using my computer on tuesday when I walked out (it was working when I walked out) and I came back in. The computer screen was black showing the "no signal" sign and also my keyboard num lock light was not on. Usually that light will be on. I suspect a problem, so I tried restarting. All of the hardware sounds correct during startup and the three lights on my keyboard (num lock, cap lock, scroll lock) lit up for a brief moment at startup (which is correct). Then the lights go blank and when the monitor comes on it shows "no signal". I don't hear any noise pointing to XP starting and I didn't hear any XP startup music. The cd drive, the mouse(the newer model without the ball underneith it), the USB extension port devices all has power. Even when I reconnect the keyboard in, all three light flashes for a moment, then goes blank. I was using a site TV.uk (or something like that) which has some free tv shows.

First I don't think it's a overheating issue since at the time my computer was at 91F and my computer have ran fine at 100F. I don't know if it was a virus attack, but I do have the latest version of AVG free and Zonealarm firewall installed and I regularly update it. I don't go onto random unknown sites, and I don't download random programs. I do use emule, but rarely. I suspect it's a bios error, because of the blank screen and the fact that even if I insert a flooy disk with my bios info or the MS-DOS start up disk it won't show anything. I inserted my winxp cd and the cd drives spins and then stops even before it was suppose to. I'm not sure if it's this exact problem or if it was something else.

How do I solve this?

System specs: My motherboard is Intel DB850 model. P4 1.5 Gh. 256 ram, ati 9200 128mb graphics card. creative live sound card. Toshiba CD-rw combo drive. 160 GB western DIgital harddrive. XP pro.

Thanks.

The Saviour

Re: My bios system won't boot up
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »
The first thing you'll want to do is unplug the computer and disconnect any cables attached to it...

Open the case, being careful to protect the computer components from Electrostatic Discharge...by simply grounding yourself.

Using compressed air...and NOT A VACUUM CLEANER...remove any build-up of dust and debris around the vents, heat sink, CPU fan, and PSU fan.

Close the case, plug everything back in and reboot.

corse321

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
It's a dust issue?

corse321

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »
It's still not working :'(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »
The BIOS doesn't just go bad normally and make a machine not boot...
The No Signal error usually points to either a vid card going bad or a loose connection.
Remove and re-seat the vid card checking what Saviour suggested above and restart everything...
If it still does the same thing then swap your vid card into another machine to verify that it is failing...if it does the same thing in another machine it needs replaced.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

corse321

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »
I don't think it was the video card problem because then the keyboard num lock lights should be on and the xp startup music should be heard. The lights are not on and I can't hear the music. Plus when xp loads I can hear "computing" (vibration) sounds inside the computer, I can't hear that either. I tried to start with the startup floopy disk inserted but the computer won't even read it.

I tried to clean everything and it's still not working.

The Saviour

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:54:58 AM »
Are you sure it's not the power supply?  Have you tried troubleshooting it?

If you have  a spare one laying around the house, you may want to try using it.  PSUs are tricky...they can fail completely...or intermittently.

Here's a good read:  Power Supply Troubleshooting
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:13:10 AM by The Saviour »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
Why would you think it's not the vid card after recieving a no signal error message ? ?

You're eliminating things before they have been diagnosed.
Swap in a working vid card.
Swap in a working PSU as suggested.
Other than that just more guesswork will ensue...

corse321

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 09:11:11 AM »
Are you sure it's not the power supply?  Have you tried troubleshooting it?

If you have  a spare one laying around the house, you may want to try using it.  PSUs are tricking...they can fail completely...or intermittently.

Here's a good read:  Power Supply Troubleshooting

My mouse and keyboard still has power, the light on my USB 4port extension still lights up, showing power.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
It's all yours Saviour...

The Saviour

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
It's all yours Saviour...

Thanks, patio...

It seems what ever is recommended...gets questioned...so, to be quite honest with you...I'm not sure if I'd like this handed to me...LOL!

Anyway...I have to step out for a while...going to spend some time with my daughter.  I'll be back, though, in a few hours.

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 03:30:06 AM »
just try to remove any add on card,the graphic card, sound card, etc..
like patio said, only guesswork can solve this one :-\