Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer starts up then shuts down  (Read 5004 times)

Lemming_Attack

Computer starts up then shuts down
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:24:28 AM »
Hi, my computer that I just bought on Craigslist will start up for a few seconds, and then it shuts down.  It will stay on for anywhere from 1 to 7 or 8 seconds.  The strange thing is that the computer as it is started up fine when I went to look at it before.  We even swapped the video card just to make sure everything was working before I bought it.  If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please respond to me post-haste.  Thank you in advance.

Pentium 4 Dual-Core 3.2 Ghz
1GB DDR ram
160 GB Hard Drive
256 MB GeForce 8500 XT
RC410L/800-M (V2.0) Motherboard

It has a copy of Windows installed, but no drivers for anything (no motherboard drivers or video card drivers)

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer starts up then shuts down
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »
ok, how about your psu?how many wattage output?
And, did the cpu fan spinning?How old the computer now?
Could it because of the thermal paste?

Try without the graphic card 1st :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:17:14 AM »
It's possible in the move that something has jarred loose.
Remove a side panel and carefully remove and re-seat all addon cards and the RAM sticks.
Check for dust bunnies while you are in there

p.s. You will need to DLoad and install the MBoard drivers also ...not having them will just create issues.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soldier101983

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
i had the same sort of problem turned out my keyboard had gone faulty can you try another keyboard

larbert

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:02:16 AM »
Hi, my computer that I just bought on Craigslist will start up for a few seconds, and then it shuts down.  It will stay on for anywhere from 1 to 7 or 8 seconds. 

Such problems probably occurs due to some unusual virus. I have had the prob of restarting the computer and i reinstalled window XP and the problem solved. you also try to reinstall your window might you get it right !

Regards
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:14:41 AM by larbert »

Flip81

Intermediate

• ben folds
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »
    larbert:  I don't think reinstalling always gets rid of viruses.  Best bet is to reformat if you want to get completely rid of a nasty virus that causes the comp to shut off.

also, does it do a POST test?  Does it beep once at bootup?  You said 7 to 8 seconds so I am assuming so.   I doubt that it is a keyboard error (as soldier suggested) as there are different sequence of beeps for that sort of thing. 

I think I'm going with patio on this one.  Probably something got loose during the move.  If it's not that it's probably either the PSU or a fan/heat issue.