Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error while trying to reformat & recover windows ME  (Read 2291 times)

az_babyblues

Error while trying to reformat & recover windows ME
« on: October 01, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
I have been trying to run the HP system recovery disks to reformat & recover a computer for my cousin.  Each time I attempt this, it stalls out while inflating files in windows/options/sbsi/....~.wav and I receive an error message stating abort, retry, or fail...I have worked with HP customer care on this issue and am back at square one...anyone have any suggestions?  Please :)  and Thanks

contrex

Re: Error while trying to reformat & recover windows ME
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »
"Abort retry or fail?" is the message that comes up when the system has detected that it could not read data from a disk. Are these floppy disks? Whatever, the message means "damaged disk". When you say that you have worked with HP customer care on this, what did you mean exactly? I would imagine that a system that came with Windows ME must be at least 5 or 6 years old, if not more, and I would not be surprised if HP are not interested. If the machine in question is not the one that the disks came with, I would be even less surprised.

Your cousin will need to examine his or her options. These may include purchasing a Windows ME install CD on Ebay (or getting one in some other way that we cannot discuss here.)