Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard disk drive information recovery  (Read 2186 times)

morcilla

hard disk drive information recovery
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:31:17 AM »
i recently took 2 hdd out of a pc, because the pc doesn't work. But i want to acces these 2 hdd to recover the information, how do i do it? much help is appreciated.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: hard disk drive information recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »
The best method would be to hook them up in a working machine jumpered as a slave drive.
This will enable you to see the drive and it's contents when you re-boot in Windows Explorer and you can copy/burn to your heart's content.
On the back of the HDD's you will see a set of 10 or 12 pins next to the power connector...
Visit the drive manuf. site to find the jumper settings but they are usually on a small diagram on the drive itself.
Once the jumper is set you need to check the jumper on the drive in the machine you are installing it to. Some need to be set to master/w/slave for this to work.
The master drive should be connected to the end of the IDE connector which is the flat ribbon cable with the slave drive(the one you want to copy) on the middle connector.
Make sure all connections are snug, take your time and don't force anything and you should be good to go.

I suggest only doing one drive at a time. And when you go to do the second drive do a few re-boots after disconnecting the first drive and before connecting the second drive with only the master on the working machine hooked up.
This prevents the BIOS from gettting a drive swap-brain fart...

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "