Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disabling laptop touchpad/stick  (Read 4294 times)

beanhead07

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Disabling laptop touchpad/stick
    « on: September 28, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
    Hey guys, I'm not entirely sure where this thread belongs but I've got a friend who has an old laptop that has a USB mouse connected to it and she need to disable the touchpad and the stick in the middle of the keyboard because it gets annoying while she's typing and the cursor moves and sometimes messes up her documents by closing them or something. I honestly don't know what type of computer or the major specs that should be listed but I know the OS is either Windows 98 or 2000. I haven't worked enough with those to know how to do it. I can do it on XP but don't know how from 98 or 2000. She's already tried going to the Control Panel and going to the Mouse icon but she said it doesn't give any way to disable it. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Disabling laptop touchpad/stick
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
    If you have a make and model, we can get some drivers . . . usually you need to install the correct drivers, and the pad can then be set to disable itself when an external device is plugged in.

elxr06

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
    Try following instructions given on following page: http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2507805

It should work for most, if not all touchpads.

beanhead07

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
      Thanks guys, I'll try those directions and see if that works. Sounds like what I already did but I'll read them again and double check. Calum I'll try and get the specs on it for you. Thanks again guys!
      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
      OK, if you can find the make and model that'd be useful.
      Let us know how you get on.