Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't respond, monitor blank (no signal), and repeating beep  (Read 15016 times)

hammerash

I have HP desktop about 6 years old.  new hard drives and reinstalled windows in June.  It seemed OK then.  I upgraded RAM to Kingston VR 2x1gig (from oem 2x 256MB)  I think it was OK after that but at some point (I think it was weeks later) suddenly I heard beeping noise.  Beep for about 3 seconds then stop for about 5 then kept repeating.  Came to computer and found monitor blank (the light that changes from orange to green when there is signal was orange) and ctrl+alt+del does nothing.  It is completely unresponsive.  I hit power button and shut it off and when I restart it everything is fine.  sometimes will go a week without problems.  other times has recurred within few hours.  Could it be the new RAM?  other thought was that I had to slightly pull out graphic card to get RAM in.  Could something be wrong with this connection?  Should I reinstall graphic card?  put in old RAM? (I really like the 2 gig!)

I leave computer on 24/7 because have USB TV tuner to tape shows.  I had computer set to turn off hard disks and go to standby and shut off monitor.  I just turned all these to "never"  (just have screen saver active) and now will wait to see if problem recurs.  Thoughts?

Richenstony

Re: computer won't respond, monitor blank (no signal), and repeating beep
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
Its your ram....

The beeps are because you haven't inserted your ram correctly , i suggest you to change the slots each stick is in , and make sure there in place correctly *you should here 2 clicks* ....

Tony :)

This is 100% a ram problem .... just reinsert them and everything will be up and running ....

hammerash

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
the ram was very hard to put in.  As I said, I had to slightly pull out graphics card to get the one plastic tab to swing out.  Then when putting the ram in, I had to really push HARD to get them to go.  BUT, I did get two clicks for each one and the plastic release tabs all popped back up into place.  The computer seemed to work fine afterwards.  If it was ram, would it be an intermittant problem like I am having?  Is it the beeps that make you so sure it is ram?

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »
What is the model of your HP computer?

You may want to check the programs installed to see if it came with any hardware diagnostics software...so you can perform a full-system test.

Richenstony

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
Yeah if you have no signal on your screen and are receiving nothing but beeps ... its the ram not being seating correctly .... to put your mind at ease you can run a program which will tell you if there is anything at fault with the ram itself ...

http://www.memtest86.com/

Goodluck :)

Tony

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
This isn't 8 short beeps? I had a problem a while back, with a MSI board and it was to do with the graphics card, and it was 8 short beeps repeated till the power was cut, and that was something like "cannot write to video BIOS cache"

hammerash

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:15:24 PM »
It is HP Pavilion 750n.  It was not 8 beeps.  It was just one beep, then pause, then just keeps repeating that pattern.  I do have a lot of things that happened around same time.  I had some bad sectors on hard drive.  I ran diagnostics and I guess it isolated them and I didn't have problems anymore but since tape a lot of video with tv tuner, decided to replace HD with 200GB seagate.  So I installed windows on this new drive.  didn't have any problems.  then decided to add ram.  so I agree that the ram is suspect, but one thing is that it has never gone dead while I was using it.  It always occurs when system is in standby and then just starts beeping.  That is why I am trying to shut off the "standby" and "turn off hard disks" and "shut off monitor" in power setup.  since I had such a hard time installing ram (removing graphics card and having to push extremely hard--was worried I was going to break the ram!)  I was hoping to not have to do that again.

is the free download on the memtest link what I want or do I have to purchase to get tests I need? 

Spero-T

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 05:40:20 AM »
Its free, i also agree it has to be you ram

hammerash

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
Thanks all.  I will run the memtest when I get home tonight.  So if I remove the ram and reinstall it, any advice on doing this?  clean the contacts with anything?  I did get two clicks per module when I install last time.  Do you think it is bad ram or bad install?  How does the test tell me?  If it fails the test, can I differentiate between bad ram and just bad install?

Spero-T

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 07:11:38 AM »
At this point it will serve little purpose to become too deeply involved in the technical jargon of Memory modules, such as Dimms, Simms, Dram and SDRam.   Suffice to say for our purposes, all ram modules fit into memory slots on the motherboard.  486 motherboards use either 30pin simms or 72 pin simms.  Pentium motherboards require at least 72pin simms or 168pin Dimm SDram modules.

30pin Simm

found on older 386/486 motherboards

72pin Simm

found on later 486 systems/early Pentium systems

168pin Dimm

latest version of Ram Memory, often called:
PC100 and SDRam

The ram slots are typically easy to insert and uninstall memory.   Memory modules fit in only one direction, with the Simms note the small cut on one side of the module, it corresponds with a tab in the memory holder.  In using Dimms, 168pin ram, they have a distinctive pattern of three areas on the bottom of the module that must be aligned in order for the module to fit into the holder.  Once a Dimm is in place the side clamps lock into place.  This is the same with Simm modules, the small clips that hold them in place will lock once the module is properly installed.

On rare occasions the bottom of the module will not make good contact with the holder.  You can remove any tarnish or other coatings that infringe upon good contact with the eraser of a pencil or rub them with a small amount of alcohol. 

INSTALLATION OF RAM MODULES
Simms:

When installing SIMMs, most manufacturers require the module to be inserted at a 45 degree angle, then "snapped" forward to the correct position. Most Pentium systems require matched pairs of modules.

Dimms (SDRam):

Unlike SIMM installation, DIMMs may be "snapped" directly into the socket. Some DIMM sockets have minor physical differences. If your module doesn't seem to fit, please do not force it into the socket...  attempt to return the module for one that fits your motherboard.

Another issue that occurs is the use of mis-matched ram.  In the case of Pentium or better motherboards and using Simms, the simm must be installed two at a time, matched pairs of ram.

If in fact the memory holders on the motherboard can become damaged or unable to properly seat memory in rare instances.  The only hope for such problems is replacing the motherboard.

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/005.shtml

Richenstony

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »
At this point it will serve little purpose to become too deeply involved in the technical jargon of Memory modules, such as Dimms, Simms, Dram and SDRam.   Suffice to say for our purposes, all ram modules fit into memory slots on the motherboard.  486 motherboards use either 30pin simms or 72 pin simms.  Pentium motherboards require at least 72pin simms or 168pin Dimm SDram modules.

30pin Simm

found on older 386/486 motherboards

72pin Simm

found on later 486 systems/early Pentium systems

168pin Dimm

latest version of Ram Memory, often called:
PC100 and SDRam

The ram slots are typically easy to insert and uninstall memory.   Memory modules fit in only one direction, with the Simms note the small cut on one side of the module, it corresponds with a tab in the memory holder.  In using Dimms, 168pin ram, they have a distinctive pattern of three areas on the bottom of the module that must be aligned in order for the module to fit into the holder.  Once a Dimm is in place the side clamps lock into place.  This is the same with Simm modules, the small clips that hold them in place will lock once the module is properly installed.

On rare occasions the bottom of the module will not make good contact with the holder.  You can remove any tarnish or other coatings that infringe upon good contact with the eraser of a pencil or rub them with a small amount of alcohol. 

INSTALLATION OF RAM MODULES
Simms:

When installing SIMMs, most manufacturers require the module to be inserted at a 45 degree angle, then "snapped" forward to the correct position. Most Pentium systems require matched pairs of modules.

Dimms (SDRam):

Unlike SIMM installation, DIMMs may be "snapped" directly into the socket. Some DIMM sockets have minor physical differences. If your module doesn't seem to fit, please do not force it into the socket...  attempt to return the module for one that fits your motherboard.

Another issue that occurs is the use of mis-matched ram.  In the case of Pentium or better motherboards and using Simms, the simm must be installed two at a time, matched pairs of ram.

If in fact the memory holders on the motherboard can become damaged or unable to properly seat memory in rare instances.  The only hope for such problems is replacing the motherboard.

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/005.shtml

What a load of crap.....

Spero-T

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »
lol.... Ermmm... Ok.. I dont really know what to say to that......

Richenstony

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 07:20:21 AM »
You just posted a load of information ..... from a site .... kudos  link was posted .... but it has nothing to do with what this topic ..... your just giving him information on ram , quite frankly i don't even understand certain parts of what you just posted ...... its to in depth ..... and doesn't in anyway help this user .... all he needs to do is reinsert his ram correctly and run a mem test , if it doesn't work then his ram is faulty .....

Spero-T

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 07:25:13 AM »
He asked how to install his ram I told him.... Sorry if you cant understand... Lets see what the user thinks rather than what you think... considering you have a personal problem with me....

Richenstony

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 07:38:09 AM »
How its ment to be done without all spero-ts mumbo jumbo   !!

1. You should shut down (Turn off) your computer, unplug your computer power cable. You can leave or disconnect all peripheral devices, such as your monitor, scanner, from the your PC. I leave all devices and cables plugged in and unplug the power cable only. Because it only takes me one minute to install a memory stick and twenty minutes to unplug and re-plug all peripheral devices and cables

2. Now you need to remove the computer's cover, read your computer manual if you don't know how to remove the Pc cover. This is a good time to take a good look inside your computer. If it's dirty and full of dust you may want to unplug all cables and take it outside and blow it clean with a can of compressed air. You can buy cans of compressed air from favorite computer store or from the Internet.

3. The computer is power off and the power cable is unplug and the cover is removed. You may want to lay you computer on it's side, this will make it easer to work on.

4. You need to ground yourself (removes static) before you handle your memory stick. I do this by touching the metal part of the computer case. You can do the same as I do or you can buy yourself professional grounding equipment at your favorite computer store it will cost you about $25 dollars.

5. Locate the notch on the bottom edge of the module to align it over the open memory slot.

6. Firmly insert the bottom edge of the memory into the slot.

7. You will here to clicks or one loud click .

Image A:

Image B:

Image c: