Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't respond, monitor blank (no signal), and repeating beep  (Read 15070 times)

Spero-T

Re: computer won't respond, monitor blank (no signal), and repeating beep
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
Tony I am done, not going to respond to anther comment you make towards me....

I dont understand why you can get over urself and just be mates....... but what ever...

hammerash

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »
guys please.  don't need any arguing.  I appreciate everyones help.  I have DIMM memory 168 pin.  I got on HP site prior to installing it and got instructions.  On one of the modules, I couldn't pull the release lever down far enough to get it out.  I had to pull graphics card out slightly to get lever all the way down.  I pushed in new modules.  One side would tend to go in first and then the other would be hard to get in.  I pulled it out and push other side in first to make sure it wasn't a problem with the module fitting.  It wasn't as the side that was hard to push in initially was not hard when I pushed it in first.  The other side then would be hard.  I did get it in and the levers popped back up and into the module cutout where it is supposed to sit.  The computer then worked fine.  It says I have 2G of RAM now, speed is improved.

I did find a test on my computer.  HP has software that came on computer called PC Doctor.  When I ran MEMORY test it didn't run.  came up saying unable to allocate memory.   so it is looking like memory issue, but I would think it wouldn't work at all or work poorly.  It works fine, then just shuts down, and strangely, it doesn't occur when I am using it.  It only occurs when computer is sitting.  I am trying to determine if it is only when in standby mode cause I think it is (but not sure) I shut off standby and left computer on all night and it was fine this morning.   I will wait for a while and see if occurs.  If it doesn't occur, then I will turn standby on again and see if it occurs again.  If it does, what would this mean?  Why would going into standby cause this problem if it is RAM associated?

Spero-T

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 09:00:37 AM »
sorry man, did not mean to clutter up your thread....

hammerash

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 07:02:03 PM »
Ok here is what I have done.  I shut off power saving features but left screen saver on.  I let computer sit all night and it was fine.  Unlike before when it would start beeping within hours the last few times.  however, until just recently, it only occurred very sporadically so can't really consider this as the problem--yet.  Since several of you said it had to be RAM, I checked it out.  It seemed fine.  was in slots flush and the tabs to remove it (that pop up into slot in the modules) were in correct position.  I decided to pull them out and switch them anyway.  I got them in with definite clicks.  I ran the memtest that someone sent link to.  I let it run for about 6 hours and it made two passes with 0 errors.   If the RAM were not seated correctly I would think it would get errors just like if the RAM were bad?  I then cleaned everything real good.  One of me fans (the one right on motherboard) was really clogged up with dirt.  I got it all cleaned out and put everything back together and we'll see what happens.  Oh yeh, I ran the PC doctor (software that came with my computer) and it still says could not allocate memory when I tried to run the memory test.  I checked it out and it says that the software is to be used with the original OEM hardware configuration only--so I guess can't really consider this test valid.  I have new DVD-RW, 2 new hard drives, and 2 new RAM modules!

Spero-T

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 03:21:41 AM »
Perphaps your psu is not correct for the new ram dvd drive etc... But hold up some one will be along to help further..

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 03:44:05 AM »
Go to reply #4 where Richenstony recommended
Memtest.

Memtest is a good reliable program.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

hammerash

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
I already did the memtest.  See my last reply.  I let it run for 2 passes (about 6 hours) and it had 0 errors.

The Saviour

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »
Okay...from what I can tell your BIOS is giving you a warning...one long beep...stops...and then continues...no video....right?

Based on the information you've given us...the problem would tend to point to one or both of two things:

What I think the problem is:

1)  Memory refresh rate...
Now, this is based on the fact that the BIOS is AMI.  Probable cause:  Memory is not compatible with the motherboard or the memory is actually bad.

What may be the cause, as well:

1)  Failing or failed video card.  Now this is just a shot in the dark, however...are you absolutely sure your memory is compatible and working?  If not...this may be the other alternative you'll want to look into.

You can use Crucial Technologies to find memory compatible with your motherbaord...if you know the correct make and model...

If not...and you know the make/model of your computer...and haven't changed the motherboard, you may want to start here:  Memory

Now...I'm not trying to sell you anything...so don't think I'm spamming...but you can use that link to find the correct memory for your system and then see if you can find it cheaper wherever you'd like.  I just thought I'd be helpful.

Good luck...and by all means...Please keep us posted...

Spero-T

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
Perhaps you could try your old ram in the machine ?

hammerash

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »
I checked HP site to get info on correct RAM, then went to Kingston site and I think they had something to verify that you were getting correct RAM also.  I also told guys at comp usa and they said I had correct RAM.  I already ran the memory test and it said no errors after 6 hours so can I assume that the ram is installed correctly and it is good?  I also thought about something with video cause I did have to remove video card to install the ram.  I made sure it was installed correctly when I reinstalled the ram this time.  I plan to let my computer sit and see if the problem recurrs.  If so then I will try putting the OEM RAM back in and see if it happens then.  I will let you all know.  thanks for the help