Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Even More Useful Advice: Protecting Your Computer Hardware...  (Read 6379 times)

The Saviour

Even More Useful Advice: Protecting Your Computer Hardware...
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:14:20 AM »
If you're like most of us...you probably bought a surge protector to help protect your computer hardware...or expensive electronic equipment.  Let me ask you this...

Did you just go to your local Wal-Mart and grab the first surge protector you could find...or did you give it a little thought before your purchase?

I've mentioned this before, but it never hurts to mention it again...because I see a lot of posts here from users who have experienced "power outages", "spikes" and "lightning strikes".  Surge protectors are designed to help protect your system from the first two I listed, but will not protect you from the latter.

There are lots of ways you can protect yourself...if you do your research first.

First of all...during an electrical storm...it would be a good idea if you disconnected your valuable computer or electronic equipment from its power source...make sure you turn the computer and any peripherals attached to it off, first.  This includes printers, cameras, scanners, etc., etc.  What you've just done is to prevent the lightning strike from making a path directly to your equipment...no path...no damage.  If you leave the equipment plugged in during a storm...even if you are using a surge protector...the path is still there...and you're, basically, unprotected.

Here's something else you may not know...

Did you know that these same electrical hazards can find their way through your data cables as well?  I'm sure you've heard that being on the phone during an electrical storm is not a good idea...since lightning can travel over the phone lines.  If it can travel over the phone lines it can travel through your ethernet, serial, cable, and USB cables, as well.  This is definitely something you may want to look into, as well.  Some surge protectors come with protection for your data cables...like the ones I have previously mentioned...you can also purchase individual cable protectors that will help further protect your computer system from these electrical  hazards.

I, for one, protect my computer system with a backup UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), from APC, which kicks in during a power interruption or outage and provides me enough time to save whatever I was working on and safely shut down my computer.  For the price I paid...it was well worth the investment.

When and if you get the chance...you may want to research ways you can protect your computer system and electronic equipment...knowledge is power!

A good place to start would be to just Google it...

If you're looking for an easy way to select the right APC surge protector or UPS for your needs...you may want to look at this thread:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,43044.0.html

I certainly hope you've found the above information helpful...

Jess607

Hopeful

Re: Even More Useful Advice: Protecting Your Computer Hardware...
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
    Surge Protectors are the biggest wastes of money, says me.

I've never had Hardware even come close to failing because a "power surge".
    I've even had PSUs die on me and fill with smoke, while my Hardware remains intact.

So I think it's a much better idea to spend your money on good hardware.

GX44

Hopeful
    • Never Stood A Chance!
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:28:44 AM »
    While I've never experienced a power surge or power outs since I've had a computer (when I was younger, I loved power cuts for some reason) I can't really comment... But it would make more sense to me to spend that extra bit of money just to be sure.

Would you rather your components got fried by a "power surge" before you realise you would have been better off with the protection?
    "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »

I've even had PSUs die on me and fill with smoke, while my Hardware remains intact.

I appreciate the reply...however, I don't understand your reasoning.

So you're saying go out and spend more money on a better piece of hardware...say upgrading from a $20 power supply to one that costs about $100...never use a surge protector and keep your fingers crossed that you never have something I just posted happen to you?  Where's the logic there?  To be honest...I don't see any logic within your post at all.  I don't say that to be rude, but to be honest.

GX44...

I appreciate the reply...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
    By all means take that extra 20 bucks and buy more processer and or other components  only to see them have the blue smoke escaping after a near hit...makes perfect sense.

::)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »
      Surge protectors won't protect against power outages but outages often come with spikes and it's these spikes that do the damage.
      Power spikes have a cumulative effect on electronic equipment including the surge protectors themselves which are designed to be sacrificed in order to save more valued equipment.
      You will notice that quality surge protection devices have easily removable/replaceable surge modules by design.
      I have 2 levels of surge protection (coarse & fine) hard wired into my house after an unfortunate incident with a thunder storm some 10 miles away took out 3 television sets in my street including mine.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
      When I go to buy something for my computer, I just ask my friend at the store.  :P

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »

I appreciate the reply...however, I don't understand your reasoning.

So you're saying go out and spend more money on a better piece of hardware...say upgrading from a $20 power supply to one that costs about $100...never use a surge protector and keep your fingers crossed that you never have something I just posted happen to you?  Where's the logic there?  To be honest...I don't see any logic within your post at all.  I don't say that to be rude, but to be honest.

GX44...

I appreciate the reply...

I see it like this.

I've never seen a computer negatively effected by a PSU failure or a power surge.

Thus, I simply Don't Believe in that.

Your saying "Buy a surge protector so that your computer won't fry" to me, is no different from Christians telling me "Give your life away to our god so that you won't go to *censored*"

So no, I don't believe in h**l and I don't believe in this problems, and I refuse to waste my money or my life on "just in case".

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:48:20 AM »
          By all means take that extra 20 bucks and buy more processer and or other components  only to see them have the blue smoke escaping after a near hit...makes perfect sense.

::)

My dear skeptical patio..

I'll say to you what I say to everyone who tells me to do something against an imaginary problem - prove it.

The Saviour

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:53:59 AM »
          I never said "Buy a surge protector so that your computer won't fry"...

If you're going to quote someone...get it right...

I'm providing a little useful info...it's up to you how you use it...

If you're trying to make me look ignorant...it backfired!

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »
            I never said "Buy a surge protector so that your computer won't fry"...

If you're going to quote someone...get it right...

I'm providing a little useful info...it's up to you how you use it...

If you're trying to make me look ignorant...it backfired!

How did this debate turn hostile?

I mearly said that I do not think that anything bad will happen to my computer if I don't buy a surge protector.

What you said was that it might and so it would be a good to spend money on something to protect against that 1 in a million chance.

I simply don't agree with being THAT careful, because it's the same as buying comet insurance.

Please don't take anything I say as hostile or negative.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
            Give your life away to our god so that you won't go to h**l"

And you ask how things got hostile ? ?
            They aren't hostile at all...i don't personally know anyone who would relate surge protectors with going to *censored*.

Just an observation.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RankenTech

Beginner
            • sexay computer nerd
              « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
              Surge protectors most definetely do HELP protect against power surges, spikes, and sometimes lightning strikes. They shouldn't be used as the single line of defense against these things. No computer in my mind, even if it's a $300 eMachine, should be plugged into a power outlet without a surge protector between it and the power source.

Now, one very important thing to consider is Joule ratings. Any time you buy a surge protector, the package will have a rating of how much power it can take before it won't do any good any more. A joule is basically a rating of energy. The higher the joule rating, the more energy the surge protector will be able to suppress. Many "surge protectors" sold at bargain stores like Wal-Mart only have a joule rating of, say, 500. A good one would have somewhere around 1,500 or more.

And there is a big difference between a power strip, and a surge protector. A power strip is simply a splitter for your power outlet, where you can plug 4 or 5 devices into one strip and plug it into an outlet. these don't suppress power surges. A surge protector will. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look for the joule rating on the box. If it has one, then it's a surge protector. If it doesn't have one, it's a power strip. Don;t be afraid to spend a little more than $20 to protect your computer that's worth several hundreds, or thousands, of dollars.

One more thing: Look for one that has modem and ethernet connections, too. Power surges not only go through power lines, but can also come through telephone lines too. This would come into play if you have DSL. if you have cable internet, look for one that has a coaxial connection on it. Make sure there is a buffer between everything on your computer and the outside world.
              A+
              MCP
              CCNA

The Saviour

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »
              RankenTech...

Nice addition to the thread...much appreciated...

RankenTech

Beginner
              • sexay computer nerd
                « Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 05:29:47 PM »
                I try.

If people don't want to take care of the things they pay for with their hard-earned money, that's their problem. I don't see any reason to get into a heated debate about it.

Just wanted to put my two cents in on that, too.
                A+
                MCP
                CCNA