Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: F1 key on startup  (Read 3326 times)

Me_DumDum

F1 key on startup
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with 512RAM, P4, and just replaced the hard drive since the original one crashed.

I installed a WD 1.6gig 7200 RPM ATA drive.

I used the reinstall disk to install XP on the drive and all that went fine.  The PC seems to be running okay.

There is just one annoying thing that happens on startup that I would like to get rid of.  Each time I start the PC I get a message on the screen to either hit F! to continue or F2 to go to setup mode.  I hit F1 and then XP begins to startup and everything else works as expected.  Before the old HD crashed it never did this.  How do I get it to run the startup routine without needing to hit the F1 key everytime?

Thanks in Advance
Me_DumDum

The Saviour

Re: F1 key on startup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:12:17 AM »
Check your boot options within BIOS...in this case...the F2 button to enter setup...and look for the boot option to disable this feature.

contrex

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:35:03 PM »
You say it's an "ATA" hard drive, well, is it PATA or SATA? I'm guessing that there are some settings in the BIOS relating to this. Is the drive the same type (PATA or SATA) as the previous one? If not, there are very likely some BIOS settings you need to alter to avoid getting that particular message.

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »
I know there are BIOS settings that allow you to test the memory upon POST...but for the life of me...I can't remember where...and I know it differs between chips...whether it be Phoenix or Award BIOS.