Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: retrieving data after formatting  (Read 4107 times)

dagurime

retrieving data after formatting
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:14:59 PM »
i'm using windows xp home edition (i'll provide whatever additional info needed... if any)

well, the computer got real funky with viruses and removal programs won't really work so I decided to format it.

the way I formatted was to use the system recovery disk provided by Sony VAIO along with the computer

my hard drive is partitioned into C Drive, in which all the program and application data are stored (obviously), and D Drive, in which all the musics and games and stuff are stored

well, i kinda formatted both drives, but as it turns out, i forgot to save some of my musics (actually, pretty much all of them...) into a back up hard drive

I formatted total of three times because there were some problems remaining after the first two.... of course, I never knew I forgot to save them before I formatted...

my question is, is there ANY way to retrieve those lost files? I think I heard somewhere that this kind of system recovery doesn't clear the hard drive entirely...

any help or advice would be appreciated

The Saviour

Re: retrieving data after formatting
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:36:13 PM »
Well...you're partially correct...

Data can be retrieved on a formatted hard drive...depending on who does it for you...those that specialize in data recovery, usually...and the condition of the hard drive...

However, you've stated you've reinstalled and formatted a total of three times...

If the data was there...you probably overwrote it...and basically may not be able to retrieve it...at all.

Spero-T

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:43:03 AM »
 If you take it to a computer expert they may be able to recover it for you....

Saviour i have a question for you
http://www.cyberscrub.com/
This program do you think it really works

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:00:11 AM »
This program download is free  it will let you know if you can recover any
files.

http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/?ref=google_fr&gclid=COT0kvOJ9Y4CFQHmgAodYHnTMA

This thought comes directly from my dumb woodpecker.
Why recover software that had a virus problem? That is
why you formated and started over.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:09 AM »
If you take it to a computer expert they may be able to recover it for you....

Saviour i have a question for you
http://www.cyberscrub.com/
This program do you think it really works

Which program are you referring to?  There are several on that page...and haven't used any of them...

This program download is free  it will let you know if you can recover any
files.

http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/?ref=google_fr&gclid=COT0kvOJ9Y4CFQHmgAodYHnTMA

This thought comes directly from my dumb woodpecker.
Why recover software that had a virus problem? That is
why you formated and started over.

I'm familiar with this program...and the vendor...however, due to the number of times this person has formatted and re-installed...it may be a waste of time.

Oh, btw...it's trialware...and you are limited to what you can do with it until you purchase a product license...just a heads up...

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:01:14 AM »
    With these recovery programs usually they must be installed prior to reformatting as opposed to after-the-fact.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

The Saviour

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
    LOL...that's absolutely correct...we got a little off topic there...those programs are, indeed, used for installing on a current working computer.

The OP wanted to know...if files were retrievable after formatting...and they can be...if they can find a reliable and reputable company specializing in data recovery.

However...like I said...they've already formatted several times...now there may still be data on the drive...whether or not it's recoverable...now, that's the question.  I highly doubt it, though.

vaibhavi_comp

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
    IF YOU HAVE FORMATTED YOUR HARD DRIVE USING QUICK FORMAT OPTION THEN USE MAGIC RECOVERY SOFTWARE TO RECOVER DATA. IT IS POSSIBILITY TO GET DATA BACK USING THIS.

The Saviour

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:50:13 AM »
    Your caps lock key is stuck...and by the way...they've reformatted and installed probably more than three times...so I doubt any data is retrievable..at all.