Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old HD lockout, wish to still get data off  (Read 2095 times)

Maholix

Old HD lockout, wish to still get data off
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:51:01 AM »
Running:

OS- XP Home
HD- Unsure, but will check if needed

So here's what happened:

While playing a game on my computer, my old mobo decided to fail. Everything went black and I had to get a new mobo. No problem. I went and got another mobo. When I'd tried to hook up my HD to the new board, it could not start windows. Someone advised me windows was stuck in a loop because the drivers for the old mobo were still on the drive, even though I had switched over to a dual core mobo.

I went and got a small HD to hold my OS on and hooked my old HD up as a slave. The HD works fine, doesn't seem to have been fried or anything.

My Problem:

Before my old mobo went out, I had my admin files set as private. This means I am currently locked out of my admin folder, thus unable to acess my old data, some of it pictures. I realize I should have backed the data up before, but I did as many do and forgot to.

I can not go and get the same mobo as I had before to put my HD on, because lo and behold, it has been taken off the market for the very reason it failed on me and I had no warentee. (I usually add my own parts, which voids such things)

I know my data still exists in the folder I can't acess, because I have seen it's names listed in a Avast! scan when I was running it, but even so, the folder says it is empty, and when I click on it, it denies me acess since, as I stated before, I had my files set as private.

Is there a way I can recover the date, like a progam I use, or is it too late?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Old HD lockout, wish to still get data off
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "