Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error Loading Operating System  (Read 3128 times)

JoeMama

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I'm a geek
    Error Loading Operating System
    « on: October 05, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
    I have a Gateway desktop that was getting the message "Error loading operating system". The owner of the PC  said they were getting a lot of popups that sounded like viruses to me.

I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr. Then I got the message "NTLDR is missing". I was able to restore the NTLDR file but not the ntdetect.com. It said it's unable to copy the file.

When I run chkdsk /p it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

So I try to do a repair install and the option isn't listed. This is an XP home system but it's saying the file system is FAT. It says 76317 MB used and 9 MB free.

I tried connecting the drive to my computer and no usable files are listed. The names of the files look like chinese.

I hope this hard drive isn't gone, because they have some files they need off there. She is a teacher and has her grades stored on it, but of course they're not backed up anywhere.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Error Loading Operating System
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
    It looks like you need to reformat, and reinstall OS.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Error Loading Operating System
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "