Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard FSB, CPU FSB and RAM FSB question  (Read 6570 times)

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Motherboard FSB, CPU FSB and RAM FSB question
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
Is it important that the Motherboard FSB, CPU FSB and RAM FSB must be the same?

For example: I have a processor 500Mhz FSB, since I have a processor with 500Mhz FSB so do I have to buy also 500Mhz FSB RAM and Motherboard?

RankenTech

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    Re: Motherboard FSB, CPU FSB and RAM FSB question
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »
    No.

and do you mean 533 MHz?

If your motherboard goes to 533, then that's the max it will go. you can get a processor with a higher fsb, but when you put it on that motherboard, it will simply downclock to 533.

the same goes for ram. however, there are 4 different kinds of ram out right now: SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, and the new DDR3. you have DDR ram. in the DDR catagory, 533 MHz is the highest speed possible. when you go to the next step up, which is 667 MHz, you get into DDR2 ram, and that won't physically fit on your motherboard.
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

RankenTech

Beginner
    • sexay computer nerd
      « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
      oops, actually I goofed. don't know what i was thinking...

you actually have DDR2 ram. 533 MHz is the lowest of the DDR2 type.

but the idea is the same. you don't have to exactly match all the speeds to your FSB. your motherboard will clock down as necessary.
      A+
      MCP
      CCNA

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »
      When choosing a FSB speed for the CPU you choose, be aware that you'll need to purchase memory capable of this faster speed. For example, many people are enticed by the remarkably low prices to be had on some older laptops. While these laptops may be outfitted with  Pentium 4 CPU, the consumer needs to carefully review the specifications for the laptop. Is the RAM provided typical SDRAM PC!## or is it DDR SDRAM 266MHz. If you fail to catch this difference you will have a laptop that is in effect very little faster than a Pentium III laptop. The RAM will keep your speeds from reaching the full potential. All M-Tech systems use PC2100 DDR SDRAM 266MHz  RAM for you to experience the full speed and performance available in today's technology

I got this from mtechlaptops.com. So I don't need to match or sync the FSBs of CPU, RAM and MOBO?

If my mobo have 533Mhz FSB then my processor have 800Mhz FSB is there a side effect with that sir?

RankenTech

Beginner
      • sexay computer nerd
        « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »
        Well, basically it's something just to consider when buying all of your parts.

You have a 533 MHz board. Sure, you can put a cpu in it with a higher FSB, but the board is literally going to take the CPU's FSB and downclock it to 533 MHz, because that's the highest that it's capable of doing.

Same thing with ram. you can pay more for an 800MHz stick of ram, but it won't do any good. the board will downclock to what the board is capable of doing.

If, for example, you had an 800 MHz board, you would be able to use that processor with the 800 MHz FSB to its full potential.
        A+
        MCP
        CCNA

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:39:06 PM »
        Ahh ok...So the FSB of CPU and RAM would downclock to the FSB of motherboard even if the FSB of CPU and RAM are higher it will automatically downclock to what mobo's FSB?

Am I right sir?...So no need to synchronize it?

RankenTech

Beginner
        • sexay computer nerd
          « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
          exactly.

what I like to do though, is leave room for upgrading in the future. meaning, when I buy a motherboard, I like to get one with a FSB capability a little higher than what I'm looking to get at that moment. That way, later on I can upgrade my ram, and processor if needed, with faster ones without having to replace the motherboard also.

For example, if I were to get a core 2 duo with a fsb of 800 MHz, I would get a board that was capable of the newer 1066 MHz speed. that way, in the future if I wanted to upgrade to say, a quad-core with a 1066 FSB, I could do that without changing the motherboard. same goes for ram. I could eventually upgrade to 1066 MHz DDR2 ram and would notice a little faster performance.
          A+
          MCP
          CCNA

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »
          Ahh ok! Thanks sir! Now I know!

Thanks you so so much sir! This is a big help for me! :)

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
          What if sir if I have a RAM which is only 533Mhz then my mobo and my processor have 800Mhz, what will happen?

or

What if my processor is 800Mhz FSB then my RAM is 1066Mhz at 1333Mhz FSB?

What if my memory is dual channel, does this mean that the FSB of my RAM would be double?

Does the 533Mhz automatically set to 800Mhz?
          « Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:03:41 PM by SHENGTON »

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »
            What if sir if I have a RAM which is only 533Mhz then my mobo and my processor have 800Mhz, what will happen?

or

What if my processor is 800Mhz FSB then my RAM is 1066Mhz at 1333Mhz FSB?

What if my memory is dual channel, does this mean that the FSB of my RAM would be double?

Does the 533Mhz automatically set to 800Mhz?

Let's get something straight first.

RAM and FSB have to be the same, but FSB is Quad-clocked and RAM is Dual-clocked.

That means that DDR2-533 is actually only running at 266Mhz.
            And an FSB of 1066 is actually on running at 266Mhz.

800Mhz FSB = 200Mhz - DDR2-400 (200Mhz)
            1066Mhz FSB = 266Mhz - DDR2-533 (266Mhz)
            1333Mhz FSB = 333Mhz - DDR2-667 (333Mhz)

etc.

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »
            So If I have a processor with 800Mhz FSB, Memory with 266Mhz FSB and mobo 1333Mhz FSB, the processor would still be 800Mhz and the memory also still 266Mhz, no changes?

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:20 AM »
            If processor is 800Mhz FSB what would compatible clock speed of memory if I use dual memory channel?