Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What determines password length & encoding for OS's, forums, programs?  (Read 2295 times)

And 1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Lets talk about password length in different programs.  I believe data types in programming is what limits the length and allowable characters.  Why on some forums the limit is 15, while on others is 21 or something?  Why not just make the max 32 or 64?

What is the max length for windows login and what encoding is used?  I just now pulled this string of text from a php forum: vb_login_md5password_utf

I know it's not safe to make a super secure password because with most applications it'll be too long or contain invalid characters.  On forums or windows login, or banking accounts, what amount of characters can you use?  I know you can use @*&@#$ stuff like that, but can you use alt codes like ALT+255 (which doesn't print anything) and ALT+0222 (Þ). 

I've been reading up on wiki about encoding, but it's complicated.  Unicodes 500 diff formats, and all the ISO standards.

Why is spacebar not the same as ALT+255?  It's not, right?

I've always wondered about how it all works.  I read on wikipedia that "Most existing computer programs (including operating systems) were not written with Unicode in mind."

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What determines password length & encoding for OS's, forums, programs?
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
    Lets talk about password length in different programs.

What is the max length for windows login and what encoding is used?  I just now pulled this string of text from a php forum: vb_login_md5password_utf

Googled and got these this and this.

Answers to the rest of your queries are probably out there on the WWW.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.