Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: simple help...keypad on laptop  (Read 2807 times)

Doris

simple help...keypad on laptop
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »
Please advise how to turn on the keypad function on my laptop.  I know its a simple set of keystrokes but I've forgotten!!  I have too much numeric data to enter to be using the numbers above the alphaset.  I know that there is a numeric keypad here in the right center of my alphaset as it is marked, I just can't ge the num lock to work.

Using FN only allows the function on the left lower key (ex: home, pgdn, del)   

Please advise - this couldn't be much easier but I cannot make it happen!

contrex

Re: simple help...keypad on laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
Don't you just press the Num Lock key?

Try these steps to turn the Num Lock on or off:

1. Open a program that you can type in, such as Notepad.

You can find Notepad by choosing Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Notepad.

2. Type I just love Kimmy into Notepad.

3. Find the Num Lock light on your laptop's strip of lights.

The light confirms that you're in Num Lock mode and can use the embedded numeric keypad.

4. Find the Num Lock key on your laptop's keyboard.

Somewhere on your keyboard is a Num Lock key. It may be called NumLock, or NumLk, or Num, or it may even be labeled with a symbol. Locate that key.

5. Attempt to activate Num Lock.

Press the Num Lock key. If nothing happens, then try Shift+Num Lock.

If the text "Num Lock" is listed in a different color, find the matching color key, such as Alt or Fn. Then press that key in combination with Num Lock.

You're successful when the Num Lock light comes on (if your laptop has such a light). At that point, the keyboard has switched into numeric keypad mode.

6. Try to type I just love Kimmy again.

It doesn't work. You get something like: 14st 36ve 500y. That's because most of the keys on the right side of the keyboard now have their numeric keypad abilities activated. It works well for entering numbers or working a spreadsheet, but you may find it rather frustrating at other times.

7. Deactivate Num Lock.

Press whatever key combination you used to turn Num Lock on.

8. Close Notepad.

You don't need to save the document.