Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server disk space problem  (Read 2458 times)

rockysam39

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Server disk space problem
    « on: October 11, 2007, 03:14:10 AM »
    We have a server (windows server 2003 Enterprise edition) with 160GB HDD.
    It has 2 partitions - C: (10GB) and D: (150GB)
    There is a FTP site hosted on this server which is associated with D:\<FTP Folder>.
    We are running a batch file from the C drive to backup files from a remote PC to this server and

some users are given access to the FTP site to download/upload files to the server through this

FTP site. The data backed up has lifetime retention period

Now the problem is, the amount of data being backed up will cause a disk space problem in near

furture. We can add one more HDD as E drive but how can we manage to grant access to the users?
    I need to give them access via the FTP site only and not through \\<IP Address> of the server.

Please advice

NOTE:- Please direct me to the right thread if this is not the correct one

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Server disk space problem
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
    Surprised you dont have a set of 160GB drives as a Mirrored set for fault tolerance. Sounds like you are running on a single drive.

I had a similar problem with an older Win 2000 Server where the information store of users was hitting 35GB and we had to add storage, yet we didnt want to have to reconstruct so much.

What I did late one night was Ghost this servers drives using Ghost 2003 and remove the 40GB HD, then install the 120GB HD and push the Ghost image back to it via DVD-R's which I burned using a LG DVD-RW drive that I had to put in place of the regular CD-Rom.

Only thing is that if you have 160GB of data you are looking at a mess load of DVD's. I would suggest Ghosting over a LAN to another system Peer to Peer. The other system will store your image that is created from the server, so you need at least 200Gb space on the system to store the image to be created as well as have its OS reside. Best way to make Ghost 2003 work via Peer to Peer LAN is round up 2 older PCI NICs which Ghost 2003 is bundled with NDIS2 packet drivers for. I use the older 3com and Intel Pro NICs. If you dont have these older PCI 100mbps NICs you can try to find the NDIS2 packet driver for your newer network adapter. You will set one system up as the Master with a static IP such as 192.168.75.1 and the other system as a slave at 192.168.75.2  . You will want to create a folder on the Ghost Image file server named GHOSTIMG or something like that, so that you can navigate to this folder and tell it to drop the image in this folder vs the root of the other system which can be messy. With a 100mbps network peer to peer, I usually can create and push an image back to a system at 15GB in 30 minutes for creation or pushing back to system, so you may be looking at 30Gb per hour of a flooded network, so you may want to do this on an isolated 100mbps switch or hub to avoid congestion as well as keep the speed at maximum communications between your 2003 server and the system taking the image.

Hopefully you can down this system for a good period of time to create the image, remove the drive, then install your larger drive or driver set, and then push the image back to the drive or drives.

To push the image back to your server on the larger drive, you will want to create a PC-DOS Boot disk with a static IP which has the NDIS2 driver for your adapter. Upon booting off this floppy disk, your system will load into the Ghost application. You then navigate to the other system containing your image and select to push the image back to the Windows 2003 Server box but onto a larger drive. Ghost will blat about drive geometry being different, and at this point you can go with the default geometry for partitions C: and D: which will be larger on the larger drive or specify size for each partiton. For best results, stick to the default geometry that Ghost suggests, it is usually a percentage, such as if you have a 40Gb drive as C: as 10GB and D: as 30GB, and you upgrade to a 100GB drive the geometry as 25% C: and 75% D: turn into larger partition volumes of 25GB and 75GB.

Also, if you make a mistake, you can always revert back to your 160GB drive and be back up and running for the next mronings users if you hit any unforseen roadblocks through the upgrade!!! Also, word of warning is that I have seen drive upgrades break the Windows Server 2003 HAL ( windows key activation ), so you may have to reactivate 2003 after the upgrade. 2000 is less picky, but MS has 2003 pretty tight to where a minor change forces you to reactivate it with MS. But worst comes worst, you can always pop the 160GB drive back in and be right back to where you were. Thats the best part about this migration method.

Another method, although dangerous involves Ghost 2003 and installing the larger drive into the system was a slave drive, and clone the 160Gb drive over to the larger drive directly. This is faster than a LAN peer to peer ghost process, BUT if you make the mistake during setup as to which drive is being copied where, you can destroy your data on the 160GB drive that you really dont want to alter. After cloning the drive, you set it as active and master and reboot with the 160Gb taken out of the system, and should be good.

Another alternative is if you have a hard drive duplication work station. This comes in helpful if you have 4 partitions on a drive that needs to be duplicated and Ghost can not create its virtual partition as a 5th partition. I have one of these workstations for some Point Of Sale equipment that is stupidly configured with single drives with 4 partitons C: D: E: and Y:

Hope this helps ... If you have used Ghost 2003, this should be easy.

Dave

rockysam39

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Server disk space problem
      « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »
      Thanks a lot DaveLembke. I will go through this solution and when time comes I will implement this and at that time I may need your assistance as well

Is there anyway I can contact you directly  ?