Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flashing LED  (Read 9670 times)

Gatika

Flashing LED
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
The Dell Inspiron 1300 has four LEDs on the front left (link to image below). What does the 2nd from the right mean? It's flashing a series of four orange/one green blinks, and we're curious about what that means. The symbol looks like a battery...does this mean it's about to burst into flame? :)

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/9018.jpg

contrex

Re: Flashing LED
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »
That flash code means you have a problem with the battery. It may need replacing. If it won't hold a charge, that's how you'll know. These Li-On batteries don't last forever, and when they go, they go! So they have a built in safety circuit that monitors the battery state, the number of charge/discharge cycles, etc, and when it decides it's time to quit, it won't let you charge it any more. Time to send the battery for recycling and buy a new one, or take it out and just use the laptop on AC.

This illustrates the Three Rules of Contrex:-

1. Don't buy a Dell.
2. Don't buy a laptop.
3. Don't buy a Dell laptop!!!!

kaigun

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »
    I looked to see what I could find on this because I also have a Dell Inspiron laptop.

The User Manual for the 1300 can be found here

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/om/om_en.pdf

Under "Using a Battery" it says "the battery is too hot to start charging if the [battery] light is flashing alternately green and orange. Disconnect the computer from the electrical outlet and allow the computer and battery to cool to room temperature. Then connect the computer to an electrical outlet to continue charging the battery. For more information about resolving problems with a battery, see “Power Problems.”

Gatika

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
    Ah, thank you very much!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced

Gatika

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »
    This illustrates the Three Rules of Contrex:-

1. Don't buy a Dell.
    2. Don't buy a laptop.

Interesting rules. P'raps I'll just pitch the laptop and start bringing my desktop into school? No wait... ;)

Out of curiousity, what laptop brand do you recommend? We've been a Dell family, thus far, and work provides me with an hp, so those are the only two brands I know.

contrex

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »
    Under "Using a Battery" it says "the battery is too hot to start charging if the [battery] light is flashing alternately green and orange.

That is one green, one orange. The OP has four orange, one green, which means "battery has died!".

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »
    1. Don't buy a Dell.
    2. Don't buy a laptop.

Is it of any help to a poster's question?

Gatika

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
    Under "Using a Battery" it says "the battery is too hot to start charging if the [battery] light is flashing alternately green and orange.

That is one green, one orange. The OP has four orange, one green, which means "battery has died!".

I can't find this...what page is it on?

contrex

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
    Out of curiousity, what laptop brand do you recommend?

As you will have gathered, I don't like laptops. My wife has a Sony VGN FS115B which has worked OK for 2 years. At work we use Fujitsus and they seem OK.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »
    Page 13

contrex

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »

I can't find this...what page is it on?

Dell didn't put it in the manual...

But look here...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=four+orange+one+green+laptop+battery&btnG=Search&meta=

Dell recalls 4.1 million batteries

also...

These are just from the first link on that Google search page!

today, the battery charge light started acting a bit funky. Normally, me mateys, when the battery is charging, the light is either solid green (charging from 0-80%) or a very slow blinking green (charging from 80-100%). If the laptop is unplugged, and the battery is below 10% charge, the light starts blinking orange. If the laptop is unplugged and the battery is above 10% charge, then there’s no light. Similarly, if the computer is running straight off of the AC adaptor and the battery is fully charged, there’s no light.

Today, however, I’m finding meself getting a cycle of four short orange flashes followed by a longer green flash, constantly repeated whenever the computer is on and the battery is in (or if the computer is off, but the battery is in and the AC adaptor is plugged in).

I changed the battery, and it’s not doing it anymore.

We have an Inspiron 6400 that is only 5 months old, and the same “fault code” has started on the battery charge light. Four quick orange flashes, then one long green flash. Just noticed it today.

After a few phone calls, and some trouble shooting with Dell, it was determined that the battery on our Inspiron 6400 was infact causing the fault code on the battery charge light. Received the replacement battery from Dell this week. It was still on warranty, so this time I am the winner!! Have been using it for a few days, so I am now confident that the issue has been resolved. I cannot fault Dell’s service this time, they were great.

Hopefully this info will assist others with the similar fault code.

If you are getting one hour instead of 4 like me, then the battery does NOT hold a charge.

Also, four very quick flashes then a green seems to be a battery problem. A chip in the battery talks to the computer.

Generally I like Dell, but they are pricks for not releasing the meaning of the LED blink codes.

Ok the light means that either the battery is defective or its over heatiing my dell c600 blinks so u should replace it soon

I work for a software company, and am internal IT for, said company. And we get this problem more often then id like.

The issue is that the battery is “nearing the end of its usefull life”

I have the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 6400 (four quick orange flashes followed by a longer green flash). On the phone with Dell now to get a new battery since I’m still under warranty. Just hope it doesn’t happen with the next one. I think from now on I’ll unplug my battery whenever I don’t use it. I think that should extend it’s life. Also, I do let it die from time to time so the battery memory doesn’t screw things up.

Is that enough?

Re. The Rules Of Contrex

re: Dell Laptop Battery Blues
    by NickJanuary 07, 2006 @ 4:52 pm

Screw buying a new battery. That $140 will go toward a new laptop, which, *surprise surprise*, won't be a Dell.

contrex

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 02:11:49 PM »
    Page 13

Dell didn't put that particular code in the manual! See The Rules of Contrex, Rule (1).

Gatika

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »
    Thanks muchly.  :)