Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!! stumped problem  (Read 2909 times)

reeder_34

HELP!! stumped problem
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »
I have an HP Pavilion Dv6000 notebook PC, operating on Windows Vista Home Premium.
When I first bought this computer I could plug a printer or any device in to it via USB and it would find it and install it fine.

I then tried using a 4-port USB hub for my printer and other object but it didn't work so I removed it and plugged my devices directly into my computer but the computer won't find them and can't install them!

I have tried 3 different printers, have updated USB drivers, tried installing the printer manualy, but nothing has seemed to work!

Please suggest and ideas you have to correct this problem before  I toss this computer out my window.... thankyou!!!

RankenTech

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    Re: HELP!! stumped problem
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
    First...get rid of Vista. That's your biggest problem right there. If at all possible, put XP on it.

Or, try completely uninstalling the printer. uninstall the printer driver, and remove all traces of it from your system. Then try re-installing it with the printer connected to the hub.

If that doesn't work...uninstall the printer again, completely. Then re-install it directly connected to the laptop.

The hub is probably causing some kind of conflict. I personally have a set of portable laptop speakers that will just not work if they're connected through a hub. Even on XP.
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »
    First thing to check would be to go to Device Manager, and see, if there are any errors under "USB Controllers"

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
    First...get rid of Vista. That's your biggest problem right there. If at all possible, put XP on it.

As this is not a solution but a band-aid try not suggesting it to those who are running Vista...

reeder 34 one thing you can try...travel to Device Manager. Find all instances of USB Roots and Hubs...right click each one and select Remove...ignore the warning message.
    Have the printer/s disconnected when you do this and only have the essential USB devices hooked up.
    Upon re-boot Vista will automatically re-install the USB roots and hubs...re-boot.
    Now try re-installing the printer software...NOTE: with USB printers they should NOT be connected when installing the software until it asks you to...

Let us know...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reeder_34

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:14 PM »
    patio-

I rtied the steps you said but the same problem is there. I plug my printer in and it searched through "preconfigured folders" for the software but is always unable to find it and install it...?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
    List the printer model and we'll help you track down the drivers...
    Once that's done i would go through the same process again...works for me.

reeder_34

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »
    hp psc 1350 all-in-one

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:46 AM »
    Travel Here  select which flavor of Windows and DLoad the drivers...
    Before leaving the page there is a Troubleshooting guide right below the driver listings...i would visit there as well and save it to a file and print it out on another machine.

Let us know.