Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: re-selling a software disk  (Read 2815 times)

tekkite07

re-selling a software disk
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
I recently purchased a Microsoft Word 2000 OEM disk from a Warehouse manufacturer.  After installing it on my machine, I decided that I'd rather not use it, and offered it for sale online.  Now I'm wondering if the EULA message will come up for any new user, and tell them that this was already installed, even though I erased it from my computer.  Any ideas?   

contrex

Re: re-selling a software disk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
There is no way that a program being installed from a CD-ROM can know or tell that it has already been installed on a computer, or for that matter, whether it has been erased again. A CD-ROM is a read-only medium. Nothing can change what is on there. (except for scratches I suppose).

If you want to sell an OEM software disk you are obliged legally to first remove the software it installed on your computer, and of course, you must definitely destroy any backup CD-ROM copies you may have legally made while you were the owner of the software.

tekkite07

Re: re-selling a software disk
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:31:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have erased all trace of it from my PC, and just wanted to make sure that any buyer will not have a problem with installing it on theirs.