Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Problem?  (Read 2075 times)

supraruss

CPU Problem?
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:02:06 AM »
I just started an XP pro install on an older computer of mine running a pentium 4 processor 2.4ghz. During the install a blue screen with white writing appeared saying I had to re-start the computer.

I re-started and got the bios screen and it said the CPU hung for an inproper time. I have tried re-starting, booting from disks etc and can't get it to work. Has the CPU gone? I can only get the bios screen, if I re-start computer the screen doesnt even come on it just makes a noise all sounds the same as normal like hard disk loading, graphics card fan running etc, the graphics card is ok coz tried another one and it does same thing.  Tried taking out the battery and putting it back in and still no good.

Can anyone tell me some tests to do or bios settings or any help to check and see whats gone wrong and what I need to replace, thanks

contrex

Re: CPU Problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
If the computer boots and you see the BIOS screen the CPU is working. Perhaps the RAM is faulty and needs checking or re seating.

supraruss

Re: CPU Problem?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 07:09:38 AM »
You were absolutely right, I took the memory out and replaced it and perfect thanks although now I have a bigger problem which I will re-post, thanks very much