Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Filter software and multiple laptops/desktops  (Read 2494 times)

Gatika

Filter software and multiple laptops/desktops
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »
So, my father has a peculiar problem. There are seven of us kids that still live at home. Three of us have our own laptops, one has a desktop, and the three remaining (younger ones) use the family computer. We also have a D-Link wireless router.

My father is interested in filtering the crap out of the internet. This is a simple matter of installing Net Nanny on the computer that he owns (the family one), but not really possible for the ones we own. As far as I understand, the only way he could do it is if we all set him up as the administrator on our computers and allow him to install the software. Needless to say, this idea makes us cringe a little.

Is there any hardware/software out there that is like a wireless router with filtering software built in? Or is there another solution that I'm not thinking of? We need to filter the internet at its source.

Or does Net Nanny actually require a password for uninstall? Maybe he wouldn't need to be the administrator...

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Filter software and multiple laptops/desktops
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
    I would suggest he creates an account at www.opendns.com . (It's completely free) The site offers website filtering on a variety of categories plus a lot of other features.
    Then it's just a matter of setting up the router to use the DNS servers from opendns.com and then the whole network will be filtered.

If you need help configuring the router, please tell me the specific model name and I'll give it a look.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Gatika

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
    Nifty! Thanks muchly.

Edit: Slight, problem. We have a D-Link 625. It doesn't appear on the list of D-Link routers on the OpenDNS site. They only have these ones:

DGL-4300
    DI-604
    DI-624
    EBR-2310
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:02:04 PM by Gatika »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »
    If they list the 624 it should work fine...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
      Yeah it will work with pretty much any router. Opendns.com just doesn't have setup guides for all. Try one of the other D-link guides as patio suggests, chances are pretty good the setup is nearly identical.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)