Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Retrieving hard disk data  (Read 2311 times)

butlern

Retrieving hard disk data
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
Motherboard is shot in my old PC but the hard disk and data on it are still good. trying to install the old hard disk into another similar PC as a slave using same operting system win XP pro SP2. Installed the hard disk OK and can see it in My computer but when clicking on it XP wants to format the drive, not keen on doing this as I think it will wipe it. Any ideas how I can get the good data off my old hard disk??

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Retrieving hard disk data
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:56:03 PM »
Instead of clicking on it open it in Windows Explorer where you should have full access to all your data.
How is the drive being reported in Disk Management ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

butlern

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »
Drive is being reported as empty? 100% spare capacity, with no file structure, as though it is a completely new disk, but it is'nt. Bit concerned now that when I have moved the jumepr links from master to slave it has wiped the data when powered up. Is that possible?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:39:49 AM »
The only way to save that data would be to hook it up as a slave drive in a working machine and see if the data can be read...
Or you could try a Linux bootCD as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "