Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop won't start - just beeps  (Read 3173 times)

drigin

Desktop won't start - just beeps
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »
Computer was running fine and I walked away from it for awhile (couple hours) but when I came back to it the monitor was blank (not screen saver or power save) and I couldn't get it to respond.  The CPU lights were still on but nothing on screen so I used the reset button.  It rebooted and I saw the beginning of the boot on screen but then it blanked.  I tried resetting it again and this time it just started beeping.  Now when I turn it on the Monitor displays a message --"No signal"-- and the CPU just beeps continuously.

Checked all connections and everything is snug inside and out.

Computer stats:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+, ASUS A7N8X Pure SKTA DDR, 1.5 Gb DDR400, Western Digital 200Gb HD, Gainward Ultra 780XP, Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic 17" monitor.  About 3-4 years old.

Can anyone help?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Desktop won't start - just beeps
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:04:15 AM »
First suspect - your RAM.
Turn off your computer. Open the case. Ground yourself (touch power supply box). Remove RAM. Clean RAM module connectors, using eraser. Put it back.
If this doesn't work, and you have more, then one memory sticks, try them one at a time.

drigin

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »
Thanks, I had just decided to start pulling things out.  Pulling the RAM out and reseating it allowed the computer to boot a little further, but it kept shutting itself down past a certain point.  Different each time. 

Second or third time I got into BIOS and checked settings, everything seems to be okay.  But on exiting with F10 it shut itself down again.

Then it wouldn't boot at all for a couple of tries.  I push the button and can hear the power supply and fan start up but then it shuts down.

Tried a few more times and finally got it into Windows and apparently it's running okay now.  Restarted and then shut down and rebooted.  Seems okay.

Don't know what all that was about but I sure do appreciate your willingness to help.  Stay tuned...  ;)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
I wish you further luck 8) 8) 8)