Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lease IP Block  (Read 4111 times)

jjcs87

Lease IP Block
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am needing some help with a class assignment and I am hoping that someone here is willing and able.

I was gone for a period of time when our class went through ip blocks and specifications to different class networks so the question is below and if someone could lead me in the right direction to help me solve the problem, probably pretty simple for some ohter people..

Thanks!

Question 2: Also, Bob has asked you to lease a block of IP addresses for your local Class C network. Who do you contact to get this block of numbers? How much will it cost to lease these IP addresses? For what period of time can you lease these numbers?

I understand the Class C network is broke up into different 256 ip sections.
IE... 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255
etc...
Does the question indicate leasing that whole block or a segment within the block.
After that, I suppose I could figure it out but I am not sure who to purchase this type of lease from either.

Any help in steering me in the correct direction would be most appreciated..

Thanks Again!

jjcs87

Re: Lease IP Block
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:11:16 AM »
So, I just read this portion in the "read me first" section...

We try not to help with homework. If this is what you are after, please at least be honest and don't try to hide the purpose for the question. Honesty sometimes gets results!

After reading this I understand that my post may never be answered. I do hope that someone may be able to help but I am sure that I can find some information sometime in the future...
I truly do not want "an answer" for my question, just a suggestion and some input...

iman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
You don't need to purchase this IP address range fromthe authority because its a private IP address range. and if it's is assign statically it doesn't need to be leased so far you are the one that assigned the IP address. But if the IP is leased by a DHP server there is a duration for the use of the IP address probable just for a day before it gets renewed.

iman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
It think you u will contact the DHCP server to get the ip address blocks and it cost nothing to get this IP addresse blocks because its privately assigned and it's only unique to ur domain.Probable 24hrs before it gets renewed. 

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
    Class C network addresses: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/ip.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network
    We are not talking about the 192 network addresses, but about the interval 192.0.0.0-223.255.255.255 - you know what means a 0 and a 255 in a network address, right? (hint: network, broadcast).
    What I understand from your assignment is what iman said and more. The exercise does not specify if we are talking about private network addresses or public network addresses. So, we have 2 cases. You have to present each case. Don't consider only the 192.168 networks, you have many more and therefore you have 2 cases: 192.168 network addresses and the other network addresses.