Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My poor dead backlight  (Read 2868 times)

Worldofwarcraft

My poor dead backlight
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:39:09 PM »
All right so hears my case, one evening after a long game of World of Warcraft I left my Toshiba satellite 1135 computer to stand by, shutting the lid I then dozed off to sleep. Awakening the next morning my brother slammed open the door looking for his 15lb pound binder, after finding it he throws it onto my desk ontop of my computers lid, and if that isn't bad three keys got crushed in the process. looking down to my pc its backlight wouldnt come on on startup. Any suggestions will do i just miss being able to see =p

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My poor dead backlight
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:51:08 AM »
Ram is dislodged very easily in a laptop.

First thing I would try is removing and
reseating the ram.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

RankenTech

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »
    and after you do that, throw the 15 lb. binder at your brother's head.

kidding, of course.

if reseating the ram doesn't work, the shock might have damaged some other parts. is the lcd screen itself fine? I'd be surprised if it was, since in the process 3 keys were broken.
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

Worldofwarcraft

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:07:10 PM »
    oh no lol im typing on it right now =p uhh the only problem is the backlight...and trust me i threw more than a 15lb binder at him (just kidding)

RankenTech

Beginner
    • sexay computer nerd
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:46:33 PM »
      you're using it now?

what exactly do you mean by your backlight? your backlight is behind your LCD panel, and shines light through to make everything visible. if your backlight was out you wouldn't be able to see anything at all, unless you have an external monitor hooked up.
      A+
      MCP
      CCNA

Worldofwarcraft

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
      Backlight as in the screen is visable only when a light is shined on it =p which lemme tell ya it isnt pleasent haveing a lamp resting on your computer and still trying to mantain it lol. =D

RankenTech

Beginner
      • sexay computer nerd
        « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
        well, if you feel like you're up to it, replacing the backlight is possible. Call toshiba first and get a price for a new backlight. if you can afford it, it would be ALOT simpler to replace the whole LCD panel. meaning, the panel inside the LCD screen casing. you need to take the whole assembly off, remove the front bezel, and take out the LCD panel. a new LCD panel can cost in the range of 200-400 bucks.

the age of the laptop will definetely determine whether the work and the money involved is worth it...is it a newer laptop? or is it getting up there in years?

you can also search around on google and possibly find a repair or disassembly guide for that particular model.
        A+
        MCP
        CCNA

Worldofwarcraft

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »
        Heh-fo the laptop itslf is about three to four years old, i did call toshiba and they do not have any replacement parts availible which kinda sux so i think im just going to buy a dell desktop instead thx for all your help...