Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: audio/video stuttering  (Read 2763 times)

typerhedlights

audio/video stuttering
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
i have the most frustrating problem. Any time i play any game or even when using windows media player (playing music) while it shows its visuals i get an extreme sound stutter along with a massive drop in frame rate. The mouse pointer also will be very twitchy while moving it. The weird thing ive noticed is if i minimize whatever game im playing, the sound will not stutter and play smoothly in the background. Also it has worked a total of two times where the system works and runs games smoothly but only for a matter of couple days then the problem arises again. I have done all of the following as different forums have led me to believe certain things were at fault:
-Installed latest sound drivers for realtek audio 97
-Installed latest Directx 9.0
-Installed latest ati drivers and also rolled back to multiple previous drivers.
-Checked +5V (of power supply) ensuring it does not dip under +4.75
-have latest nvidia chipset drivers installed.
-Ensured hdd are not stuck in PIO mode.
-Disabled onboard sound in MB BIOS.
-Cleaned system of "dust bunnies" (this originally helped and thus the system ran fine for a total of two days before faulting again)
-Have a desk fan blowing directly on cpu area and video card.
-Moved sound hardware accelration to basic settings
-Moved all visual hardware acceleration to basic settings.

At this point im out of things to do to fix it. I play games like EUDEMONS online or counter strike which are not really graphic intensive and my system was able to play counterstrike on medium settings and even doom 3 on lowest settings.

Here is what my system consist of:
Windows XP PRO SP2
Chaintech VNF-250 mb
512MB infineon pc3200
maxtor 120gb,western digital 160gb
Amd 64 3000
Zalman heatsink cpu fan
Generic 500 (claims 500w) P.S that came with case
ATI 9700 Radeon

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: audio/video stuttering
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
128MB memory on your ATI 9700 Radeon may be the first problem.
That's why, I believe, when you play your game in part-screen, everything looks good.

stasik

Re: audio/video stuttering
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Check that your fan and heatsink is installed correctly on the CPU
THAT is exactly what happens when an chip overheats. So when running intensive stuff it will clock down and cause your stuff to get slower.
don't believe me? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNUK3U73SI   (this is many years old though =)